Can over weight people live in a mobile home?

Hi all,

Can people that weigh 300 pounds live in a single wide mobile home?

-Gulliver

US Building code is generally about 40 pounds per square foot. A 10x10 room could hold 4,000 pounds of people and or furniture assuming they are distributed and not on a single point. At that design load, you would not have an issue.

Also, I can assure you that we have residents who weigh at least 300 pounds in our communities and they have not caused structural issues.

But there are 3 people in the home that weigh 300 pounds. Will the floors be okay? @mPark

A used mobile home, especially an older one will likely give them problems. The floors usually were made cheap and often are softened up with time and liquids getting on the sub floor over time.

1 Like

The home in question was made in 1997/1998. The floors are in good shape right now. Do you think the floors will not be able to handle three 300 pound tenants? @mobilehomepark

It is a gamble…
I’ve had homes that age seem fine until we pull up the floor coverings and find out otherwise.

You could also potentially overlay the sub floor with another layer of material, or replace it totally.

Old liquid spills are generally found in homes of that age, but you never know.

Yah makes sense. I’ll just find some other people that aren’t over weight to live in the home. Not worth the gamble and potential risk.

Thanks for the input!!

I’m surprised you ask this question publicly in today’s ultra woke culture. (Sarcasm).

Facts are facts. 300 pounds is 300 pounds that could potentially damage my property. Its important to have these tough conversations professionally.

1 Like

We had a very large woman and her large younger son move into a 1970’s home that we had thoroughly remodeled (spent $20k). They had all sorts of flooring issues and squeaks when walking around that no one else had discovered prior to their move in (and I had also walked this home myself). We sell our homes with a 30-day warranty and we spent quite a bit of money replacing subfloor (MDF variety, not surprisingly) that they made weaken more than it normally would. The smaller and older the home, the more of an issue it will be for sure.

We rehabbed a home a few years ago; I walked through the home without issue. The contractor was a big guy (300 lbs plus), and he had no issues. The floor was a little bouncy in some spots, but nothing unusual for a home of that age/type.

We sold it to a morbidly obese lady. She had a professional job and wore a shoe with a heel on it. She broke the floor. She put her foot through the new flooring, the subfloor, etc. It wasn’t very comfortable for her. My contractor said it was because she had a heel on, and the heel punched through the flooring. We didn’t because we were wearing sneakers.

We had a potential tenant who was very overweight to the point of disability. Floor was fine with him but ran into some issues with his weight and his mechanical medical bed. Was too much load for the floor.

If you’re seriously concerned as far as the legality of it. And if the tenants check all of the boxes, per se’ rent them the home with the understanding that they MUST have renters insurance (liability) within 15 days !! Now you’re not liable