Whole house water filter system help?

I have a new mobile home rental property that is on a well system the water has strong egg smell and discoloring of tub and sinks. I was going to install a whole home system from Home Depot or Lowes. We checked for the best place to install but the water heater is be hind a panel that is time consuming to remove and could eventually break the panel with constant removal to change filter. Under the house we could only find one single pipe running up from the ground into the insulation. The instructions for the filter states that the filter system should be installed on a horizontal pipeline but we can’t find one. Do we have to pull the insulation down? Also any recommendations on a particular brand of filter?

1 Like

https://www.culligan.com/home/solution-center/resources/how-to-treat-sulfur-water-and-reduce-the-rotten-eg

You need to identify the cause first.

What color is the staining? Red, brown, tan = iron
White is carbonate i.e. hard water
Black is manganese. Rotten egg is hydrogen sulfide. You really need a local water treatment company to test the water and provide a treatment set up for you. There is no one size fits all in water treatment it depends on the levels of each contaminant and water chemistry

Try a Home Master HMF3SDGFEC 3 Stages, particular designed for treating well water. I read somewhere on homekitchen101 that this system not only rids the unbearable odor, but also reduces iron, which is the main culprit of the discoloring in your faucets.

What you described your water is terrible. Obligatorily bring water to the laboratory for inspection. So you know exactly what type of filters you buy. Believe me, for each case there is a separate type of filter.

I was also installing a filtration system in my house. And when I studied the issue, I also saw many good reviews about this filter Home Master HMF3SDGFEC 3 Stages.
But I would also advise in addition to all filters to install an under sink water filter (more details this). It will provide additional filtration and remove additional odors.

Your budget will be your limiting factor.

We have really hard water and it also smelled. Had a small sediment filter along with our water softener and it wasn’t cutting it. Couldn’t drink the water and it left red rings in the toilets and calcium build up on the faucets.

I installed a two cartridge “big blue” water filter with a 5 micron sediment filter followed by a 5 micron carbon or coconut filter. Huge difference and I can drink the tap water. I change the filters every 5-6 months. The system is around $150 if I recall and a pair of replacement filters is about $50-60 on eBay.

I suggest the Culligan WH-HD200-C because I have a deep well at home. Rust, calcium, and tiny particles have always been a concern for me. It took me several months to clean all of the washer inlet screens and screens of rust and debris that were obstructing the flow of water. I’ve already started looking for and testing this product. For use with it, I bought Culligan CW5-BBS Whole Home Heavy Duty Water Filter Replacement Cartridge, 16,000 Gallons, White. I’m worried about a big decrease in water pressure from my well, but we didn’t find any. This product comes highly recommended from me. It’s well-made and extremely durable.

I came here looking for instructions to install a whole house water filter also. I see not one person replied on how to do it. I need it for the tub, shower, and wash machine. Our city adds so much chlorine it bleaches clothes with weird spots and you can’t breath in the shower or tub. We already bring in bottled water to drink and cook with.