What to do with wheels/tires after a move

Hi everyone,

We are orchestrating the import of a used mobile home into our park and the mover asked me if we wanted him to remove the tires at $25/each. We manage the park remotely and our park manager is recovering from a medical operation so we can’t ask him.

Can we just leave the tires on for now and remove them later? I imagine at some point down the road we will buy a home that doesn’t have the tires and then we can use these.

How compatible are the wheels/tires from one home to the next?

Any ideas or experience you’d be willing to impart is appreciated!

Thank you

If the transporter is setting the home, have the tires removed and placed under the home.

1 Like

is it a 70s or 80s model?? Even going back that far, the hubs and wheels are all the same size. It’s odd that the mover doesn’t want to keep the wheels and axles. The only time we don’t take them after the house is set back up is when the house is ancient. Sounds like he’s trying to gig you for some extra money. Not sure what state you’re in but, here in NC, you’re not required to remove the wheels and axles in a park.

Fyi, if you feel so inclined, they go on facebook for about $50 each around here. You just need an impact and a 9/16 socket to take them off.

1 Like

Hi Jake it is an early 90s model. The mover might want to keep the wheels and axles but he didn’t provide them. Any harm in leaving the wheels and axels on? Are they going to deteriorate faster than if we remove them and store them under the house?

Whether you leave them on the house or take them off and store them under the house won’t make much of a difference. The tires may dry rot or be just fine - I’ve had tires 5 years old that are toast and I’ve also pumped up and ran tires that were under a home for 40 years. The axles are usually find either way as long as they aren’t exposed to the weather. Even if they rust it’s typically nothing a little PB blaster can’t solve!

I can recommend removing the tires when moving a mobile home to prevent damage and ensure stability during transport. But if you plan to use the tires in the future, you can leave them on for now and remove them later. I have a slightly different problem, I can’t decide which tires to buy for my bike https://www.bikethesites.com/650b-vs-700c-tires/ If anyone has met with this question, help :pray:

There is money in wheels and axles. When I have a home get set, I have the set up contractor remove and I receive a reduction on the set up.