Tree trimming requests, how far do you go?

I’m from Southern California and own a park in Michigan, so dense foliage and tall trees aren’t something I’m super experienced with.

One of the first things I did when closing on the park was take out all of the dead trees and remove any dead limbs that were close to a building.

However, some residents want much more tree work done, such as removing live branches that overhang their home.

When a resident would like tree work done that doesn’t involve dead branches or a tree trunk/root threatening a foundation, how do you handle it? Are these reasonable requests that the park should sometimes pay for, or are residents being overly picky?

I’ve owned parks for 12 years. Every few years I have a tree guy go to my parks that have trees. He trims, cleans out dead, and inspects for safety.

I also remove any large trees whenever the lot they are on goes empty. If your like me and want to keep your park for a long time, this will save you money in the long run.

Another idea is to get a couple opinions/quotes from tree guys. That would educate you more.

1 Like

Keeping in mind that home owners have the first responsibility of having home owners insurance I only remove trees or limbs that are an eminent threat to a resident. If it is dead or dying, damaged or unstable I pay to remove. Park owners are not responsible for unanticipated storm damage. That is the responsibility of home owners insurance. If they do not have coverage too bad for them.
When a home owner requests the removal of healthy trees or limbs I will consider it assuming the removal is not going to have a negative effect on the aesthetics of the lot or community. If I decide it can be removed I inform the home owner it will be at their expense. I do not pay to remove healthy trees that are not a immediate threat to property.
If your policy is to pay to remove all trees to satisfy home owners your community might as well be located in a open field.

Thanks for the responses
@mobilehomepark
"
I also remove any large trees whenever the lot they are on goes
empty. If your like me and want to keep your park for a long time, this
will save you money in the long run."

How will it save money in the long run?

One thing I’m considering doing is for any trees that don’t involve dead branches or are threatening a foundation, telling the tenant the park will go 50/50 on any additional tree work with them. I figure that will shut down 99% of the requests, and if someone is willing to put their money into it then it must be a really big deal for them.

I would talk to your insurance provider and take whatever advice they give you on the subject. Taking your advice from the tree trimming company is probably not best because your interests are definitely not aligned.