Tenant asking for "tax documents" (form 1098) for her owner financed home

I have a tenant that is 1 year into her 2-year note on a home. She is asking for “tax documents” on her home, I believe she means Form 1098 that a mortgage lender provides on real property. However, as this is not real property but tangible property I don’t think I need to provide one, correct? Similar to owner financing a car, you don’t get a 1098 for tangible property.

1 Like

upon further research, it looks like the IRS does consider mobile homes real property

“…real property includes a manufactured home with a minimum living space of 400 square feet and a minimum width of more than 102 inches and which is of a kind customarily used at a fixed location.”

You answered your question.
A 1098 is appropriate.

But, there are regulations about whether you must provide one. (A “one-off”). You will probably pay at least $20 to get a “real” one. I’m not even sure they make paper copies anymore.

Or just give her a “doctor’s note” i.e. a letter with all the facts (specifically how much was paid in interest and how much in principal is there). Just copy the info from the 1098 into a letter. It will probably be good enough.

1 Like

Yes, that’s one thing I’m trying to figure out, what is the “official” way to provide her the information? The downloadable 1098 form from the IRS site says this…

“Copy B and other copies of this form, which appear in black, may be downloaded and printed and used to satisfy the requirement to provide the information to the recipient.”

So that looks like I can send a printed copy to the tenant, but confused on what I can print/scan/use for myself as the lender.

Don’t worry about it. There’s nothing “official” except keeping record. If you don’t have to deal with copy ‘A’ which has to be machine readable, just keep a copy of whatever you send out and forget about it unless the IRS writes you a letter explaining why they need one tiny piece of info from you.


1098 is a mortgage interest doc. I wonder if the tenant just meant "I [think] I need something for the filing of my taxes.

They may not understand

Often they are confused. I would back way out, 10,000 foot view, and ask what they mean.

I am not going to answer your question directly because I am not a CPA, but I have found that www.track1099.com makes it very easy to provide tax documents to contractors and borrowers. They eFile with the IRS for you. If your accountant tells you that you need to provide a 1098 to the homeowner, this website files for only a few dollars per form.


She doesn’t know exactly what she needs, but I realized she didn’t pay more than $600 in interest last year so I don’t need to send a form, I just provided her an amortization schedule for her own records. But for some of my other tenants, I realized they did pay over $600 so I need to learn how to do this anyways :upside_down_face:


Amazing!!! Huge help!!

Heads up that as park owners you’re actually not supposed to be owner-financing, so I wouldn’t even wade into the waters of being considered an unlicensed “lender” by substantiating that with a 1098. Not a good look. I would just provide them with an amortization schedule showing both principle and interest and they can claim the appropriate amount per that schedule on their taxes. Including the amortization schedule on the owner-finance paperwork as an Exhibit would be the way to go to head this off at the pass.


Well technically the entity that owns the park is not doing the owner financing, the entity that manages the park is owner financing the homes. From what I read, at least for AL, one can owner finance up to 3 homes per year. Have you read anything like that?

Yes, similarly, we can do up to 5 owner finaced transactions per year in TN


great. Good to go then. Move on and get to the next investment :slight_smile:

1 Like

The park owner cannot owner finance the homes for the tenant?

1 Like