Skirting

Have several POH’s that are in need of having the skirting replaced.  Was wondering if anyone had any ideas or recommendations for this.  Trying to stay affordable.  Have thought about using vinyl lattice at Lowe’s.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.Sam

We only use metal  for our skirting. It’s pricy but the only material that stands up and maintains it’s appearance long term. Obviously not an easy decision to use in a lower end community but it does upgrade the appearance of almost any home and community. As along term investment if done right it will only need to be done once.Other materials require annual maintenance to repair lawnmower and trimmer damage or to paint.

We use ‘regular’ vinyl/plastic skirting.  We lay down roofing shingles where the skirting rests on the ground.  The shingles stick out from under the skirting 3" - 4" thus holding back the grass away from the skirting.  This greatly reduces the amount of grass trimmer damage to the skirting.-jl-

I like the roofing shingles trick that Jefferson notes above.  Odd lot bundles of shingles should be pretty cheap at a local building or roofing supply.  On a roof, shingles need to be from the same lot so that they match.  But used as edging, the odd lots would work perfectly.  One note on the skirting issue, and there was a previous thread several weeks ago concerning skirting on which I did not comment.   The metal skirting will give you better fire resistance than vinyl skirting.  In some areas, as is my understanding, metal skirting is a code requirement for that reason.  Heaven forbid that a fire should ever break out in anyone’s MHP or any tenant’s MH, but if metal skirting would slow down or otherwise limit a fire’s progress I would certainly choose it.  Of course, use that as a selling point with prospective tenants.Jim Allen

If you’re trying to do the job really cheap, go to the local used/salvaged building materials store and buy anything that comes in sheets of sufficient size. We’ve skirted using old greenhouse roofing, metal siding, fiberglass panels, plywood – whatever they have in stock. You’ll have to paint it to match the home. If the home is highly visible (corner lot or turn in the road) then you have to use new vinyl or metal. But if you’re just trying to hide the ugly underbelly of any old home – and you have to do a ton of them – then you can only do what your budget allows.

I spent about $300 at Menards to do a 14x70 with their pro-rib barn siding metal. Average about 27" height. The top channel was already there, purchased J-channel and stakes for the bottom and 1 stick of corner for all 4 corners, and a couple lengths of perforated metal for venting. I used a circular saw with the blade turned backwards and pole barn screws.I spent more time dreading the job than I did doing it, and doing it was actually pretty fun as it was a nice mix of measure-cut-place-screw. I wanted dark brown and couldn’t quickly and easily get that anywhere else or in any other material for close to that cheap. Once I helped build a livestock lean-to… but that’s my only sheet metal experience. I think it turned out pretty good. 

I’ve seen decorative, painted concrete blocks many times, it looks good and nothing is more durable

Here’s an example. http://www.nopatternrequired.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/100_3712a.jpg

We install our skirting bottom rail on a treated lumber 2x4 where the home doesn’t have a concrete slab foundation.  This gets the skirting up 1.5" and something for the landscaper to run his trimmer against.  I see the shingle method but those don’t keep the bottom rail from rolling.