Should lot rent be higher for a double wide vs single wide lot?

Currently our park has same price across board, but figured since they take more space, it made sense to charge more. Basically, about 85% are single wides, and the rest are double.

Didnt know if this was typical, and if not, what is a typical multiplier. E.g. 1.25 or 1.5x ?

Half my parks charge the same and half charge a premium… my thinking has always been, if in theory I could fit two homes in the same lot, I’ll charge a premium. For what it’s worth it happens to be a 40% premium.

Why dont you run the premium in all parks (Im assuming they have double wides too)

I dont charge more in my parks for DW vs SW. However, Ive seen others do this. Typically, I see them charging a $40-60 differential in rents double vs single. I suspect one could charge slightly more depending on your area, demand, etc.

I do not care about the size of the home on the lot. I care about the size of the lot.
One of my parks has irregular lots. I have 3 prices for my new move-ins.

1. Small Lot (RV) $657
  2. Regular Lot (40x60) $857
  3. Large Lot (Larger than 40 x 60) $927

Yes, the Seven at the end is intentional.
You were probably thinking I had some reason for putting the Seven there. Yes, I do. I want you to think I have a reason.

I have found that using a Seven at the end of rent makes folks think that a lot of thought went into the price. I get a lot less pushback on rent increases and new move-ins by using a 7 instead of a 5 or a 9.

Plus a 7 seems like a discount from a 9 and I get $2.00 extra dollars more than a $5.00. If I can charge the $9 then I can just go up to the next $7.

What sounds better?
$445 or $447?
$449 or $457?
$457 sounds best to me…

3 Likes

Walmart did studies years ago that showed that angular numbers (4, 7, etc) sold better than rounded numbers, so interesting you say that–I do agree that it sounds like you are being more precise.

3 Likes

I have single wide lots and double wide lots. The latter cost more because they’re bigger.

Interesting. I have to admit to sound better to the ear. Might be something to that.

1 Like