Seeking Feedback: Potential Mobile Home Park Investment in South Carolina

Hi everyone,

I’m considering my first investment in a mobile home park (MHP) and would appreciate some advice from those experienced in this sector. The park is located in South Carolina, close to where I live. Here are the details:

• Number of Spots: 24
  • Occupancy: 100%
  • Home Ownership: All homes are tenant-owned except for one brand-new 2024 park-owned home on a rent-to-own agreement.
  • Lot Rent: Currently $494 per month on average, with potential to increase to market levels around $600 per month.
  • Financials:
    • 2023 Gross Scheduled Rent (GSR): $128,755
    • Effective Gross Income (EGI): $124,545
    • Total Operating Expenses: $23,379
    • Net Operating Income (NOI): $105,376
    • Proforma Year 1 GSR: $142,200
    • Proforma Year 1 NOI: $112,464
  • Utilities: Direct billed to tenants (city sewer, water, and electricity)
  • Maintenance: Roads are asphalt, and the park was developed between 1969-1990
  • Asking Price Range: High $1 million range to be competitive

Questions:

1. Valuation: Based on the provided financials, what would you estimate the value of this park to be? Does the high $1 million range seem reasonable?
  2. Investment Viability: Given the current NOI and potential for rent increases, does this park appear to be a good investment opportunity?
  3. Concerns: Are there specific concerns I should be aware of when evaluating this MHP, especially given its age and tenant-owned home structure?

I’ve been interested in the MHP space for a long time but have not yet made an investment. Any insights, especially around the financials and valuation methods, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

What do you mean by “high $1 million range”? If the numbers are verified and the park and market are as you state it’s not crazy to offer a 10 cap on the NOI.

The expenses look low. If the current owner is self managing you’re going to need to factor in hiring a part time manager. Also factor in what your taxes are going to be in a 1 million purchase price. In Ohio it would be 30k/year. I would figure expenses being around 40-50 percent.

Contact tuprety.capitalassets@gmail.com
FOR ANY FORM OF YOUR BANKING INSTRUMENT