RV water lines in cold climate

I can now put RVs into my park. The Community is in NE Ohio and that’s weather zone 5 - really cold. My question is how to insulate the water lines and meter when everything is exposed? Instead of coming up through the bottom of the home, it looks like they all have garden hoses attached to the side of the home. I make this PEX instead of a hose and then heat tape it and cover it all with tubular, foam, pipe insulation. The meter goes into a styrofoam jacket with the heat tape wrapped around the bottom of the meter. I’ll probably split a piece of plywood to cover the top of the well and maybe even tack on some Owens-Corning pink board on the bottom. Is this enough to keep everything from freezing? Should I do extra wraps around the PEX?

I’m starting to see drilling workers living all year in their RVs in the area so I assume there has to be a way to do this.

Thanks.

Rolf

Wheat Hill

Rolf,

This is an option for you. The box is metal and all of the water connections are inside and sealed. The box is insulated, and has a locking top. You would use heat tape on the RV water line to the home, and it would connect inside this box through a hole in the side.

Jim,

Is the point of this to protect the water meter from freezing? I haven’t had any problem with this happening so far, but then all the meters have been under the home. The ground heat seems to keep the underside of a mobile home just a bit warmer than outside the skirting. I won’t have this helping me in this situation (RV) so I can see how this box would solve that problem.

Where did you get the box? Can you order these in different sizes?

Rolf

Wheat Hill

Rolf,

These are not our boxes. When I travel to parks, I photograph ideas… and I just took these photos a few weeks back.

I have photos of all sorts of stuff that I refer back to when I run into issues or need to get my brain jump started.

We are looking into this for our parks though.