Question on asphalt milling (cold asphalt) vs hot asphalt paving

Hi MHU friends, I’m thinking about paving the road of the MHP and am wondering what’s your experience from using asphalt milling vs hot asphalt? I got two quotes from the contractor that will do the job and the asphalt milling, which uses recycled material with the same specification is half of the price. He told me it’s almost as good as hot asphalt paving. I’m wondering what’s your experience? Any recommendations and feedback would be very helpful. Thank you.

I’m interested to hear as well. Where is your park located? I’d be interested to hear how big the job is and specifics on price, if you’re willing to share.

1 Like

@jackyen2000 we recently used asphalt millings for one of our smaller parks which was partially gravel and the price difference was significant. My opinion is that unless you have a 4-5 star park (and depending on location), asphalt millings are a good option. However, I would definitely speak with the paver to get their thoughts. Below are some pictures. I hope this helps.

3 Likes

I have asphalt millings on my driveway, to me, this is just another form of gravel, it has nearly all the same attributes of gravel from a maintenance perspective and nearly the same characteristics. To me, the better comparison is millings vs road base/limestone.

It is feasible that with traffic, heat and time, the millings self adhere into an asphalt like surface, but only in the tire tracks, the middle and sides of the road will continue to be loose. This also means the tire tracks get a bit like a shallow rut, this makes snow plowing difficult because it will start moving your millings around and deposit them in the landscaping.

The other thing I’ve noticed about the millings is they are lighter then gravel, so they are more easily kicked up and moved. I have about a 45 degree bend in my drive and I’m shocked that each summer I need to rake the loose millings off the opposite side of the bend and pull the millings back into the center of the drive.

I think I’d look at using roadbase vs millings, it’s cleaner, less tar to kick up on everyones cars and I think overall it packs down tighter in a more uniform fashion.

The other advantage of the millings is they are black so lite snow and ice melt off quicker. Over time, the milings black color has faded, much like you see on asphalt but there is no way to refresh the color with the millings. Something to be aware of.

One last edit, without renewed millings, your road can start to look more like an old broken down asphalt road (grey, poor color, mix of solid vs loose surface) vs something purpose built like a nice flat drive of roadbase.

YMMV

1 Like

Milling looks more like a “better version of gravel” than actual asphalt.

My question is - why do you want to pave the roads? This is typically one of the most expensive upgrades you can do to a community and only ever worth it right before the banker comes take a look at it for the appraisal in a refinance. And if so, you will want to go with actual hot asphalt.

Furthermore there are climate concerns - if you’re up north, snow will kill you. If you don’t ever get snow, it may be reasonable.

If doing it for aesthetics, I would hold off.

1 Like

wow this looks great! Thanks guys!