Question about Septic and General Park question

I am reviewing a MHP for sale in PA. Each pad has its own septic. Majority of the pads (38) have been replaced with newer concrete septic tanks. Can I get some advice on the good and the bad with individual septic tanks? Also this park is mixed with full time resident mobile homes and seasonal mobile home/rv’s. Thoughts on keeping it as is or attempting to change all over to full time resident park?
Thank you.

septic systems installed in such a way are sometimes or almost always ways of getting away from the legalities of a large septic system. The good for this system is you can write in the lease that the tenant/resident is responsible for the septic maintenance. The bad is they are mobile home tenants/residents and will probably ignore this requirement in particular. It’s the old dog new tricks kind of thing.
Changing the park from seasonal to full time is a question of economics. How much do you calculate the change will gain you and how much might it cost you? I Imagine that you could charge a tad more for seasonal if the home stays there because of upkeep of the lot when the tenant is gone.

Michael—how can a park owner LEAGEALLY ENFORCE a tenant/resident is responsible for the septic maintenance??? So with the same logic we could make the resident/tenant responsible for the water well system also!!! Generally seasonal and or part-time residents would use less water and thus less stain on septic’s and if rates are similar staying with seasonal residents—you know the answer.

Sorry for being late on this. None that I know of as far as enforcement except it being written into the lease that the tenant is responsible for the septic system maintenance and providing them a booklet like this http://www.nesc.wvu.edu/pdf/ww/septic/pl_fall04.pdf

Other than that I would keep reserves for septic services just in case they are needed between tenants. I would also check the septic system maintenance companies in your area and provide the tenants with a list of licensed and insured companies that the park deems as acceptable companies to work with the septic systems in the park. Licensed and Insured are the key words, as besides someone trying to clean out a septic tank with a bulldozer or rocket launcher they are fairly foolproof in operation and maintenance. As far as the well system you can probably sub-meter and charge back for the acceptable rate in your city or county according to the water billing rates there. that might give you enough for the maintenance costs over time.

Michael, what attroney suggested for a tenant to maintain a park owner sewer system???

I would be very careful placing a responsibleity that is a park owner job on a tennant and some smart attroney will eat your cake.

If they agree to the rental and the responsibility is explained to them what is the problem? You could go with a tiered rental rate they take responsibility for the septic at so-and-so a price or the park is responsible at so-and-so a price. If you want attorney talk, I am not the one to lead you through the question.

You are in a different ball game than what most owner do–I wonder why???

The typical tenant in affordable housing doesn’t have the knowledge or financial means to maintain these systems properly (if it 'aint broke, don’t fix it), and as a result the Park owner is the most suitable person to do it and pass those expenses along to the tenant - or otherwise risk a major capital expense hoping the tenant does it right, especially for those systems that cannot be replaced like for like due to stricter environmental regulations.

For Parks not passing along these costs today with private utilities (at least in Texas, probably other states) this means registering as a public utility (25 page application + 6 month review cycle) where you propose the various services you shall provide and get agreement on the rate, which encapsulates well service / maintenance, EPA reporting, septic pumping & maintenance, average break / fix scenarios, etc. over the course of a year. Calculate this into a PUC agreed blended monthly rate per gallon you can pass to the consumer. There are notification legalities, etc, but is all up front process establishment as part of the application, and not very complicated for most MHP investors.

The original poster asked about a 1:1 septic to home ratio - I think it would complement the above mentioned billing processes well as you can state in the lease that any repairs due to tenant negligence (e.g. personal wipes, grease, etc) clogging the system shall be a repair they are responsible to pay. This would further reduce unforeseen expenses and have a higher likelihood of maintaining a static rate for private services, only adjusting as service providers increase prices for inflation or other factors every few years.

1 Like

Never mind, I give up, all previous posts from me should be ignored.

Thank you to everyone who responded although I did not mean to create a topic that caused such debates between you all. I do appreciate all of your opinions.