Pros and cons of year 2005/2006 -14x60 - all electric Mobile homes in Anderson Indiana

I am bringing in 10  Mobile Homes “ All electric
which are all 200V.”  to my MHP in Anderson IN-  They are built  in 2005 or  2006 for
FEMA sized 14x60 .

Do you think it will be a good idea to have that many all electric homes in a
55 lot park?  I am concerned that low income and all electricity heating and cooling utility bills may
not be the best combination  but on the other hand these are FEMA homes
and have far better insulation than the other homes that I have in the park which are
mostly 1970s and some 1980s.  I do not have a good data to conclude if
bringing all electric homes will be  a good decision or not. I will appreciate your
insight on that. Do you think my tenants will run high electricity bill and therefore I will have a high turn around. These homes will be rented with rent credit program. So it is  all tenants responsibility to pay all the bills.thanskSema

We’ve found our tenant base generally prefers all-electric houses.  Electric is cheaper (at least in OK an KS), and is viewed as being safer than gas.  That said, I’d estimate about 10% of our tenant base has a strong preference for gas (better stove cooking).So I don’t think you’ll go wrong at all with all-electric homes.Good luck!-jl-  

I manage a Clayton Homes sales center in the Cincinnati Metro.  99.9% of the homes we sell today are all electric. They are just as Jefferson states, a customer preference.  Besides that, your set up cost will increase $300-$500 per house having to have a plumber or HVAC technician install those black iron gas lines from the home to the meters, not to mention the inspection process is an added pain.If utility cost is a big concern (which it shouldn’t be on a 60’ home built with Thermal Zone III insulation) consider installing heat pumps instead of central air if the homes don’t already come with A/C units.

Sema, we are in South Carolina, so our high electric bills are high in the summer (just the opposite of yours).However, we totally understand your concern in regards to the Tenants, high electric bills and high turnover.We had a MHP under contract that had 14 Park Owned Homes (1970s & 1980s).As part of Due Diligence we were trying to get a read on how many of the Park Owned Homes actually had power.  When speaking to the Power Company, the employee mentioned that the power would get turned off on most of the homes in the summertime.  We were a bit puzzled as to why the summertime until she said that the Mobile Homes had little to no insulation and no surrounding trees for shade.  As a result of the above facts the Tenants would leave the Mobile Homes because they could not pay their electric bills (too high) and their power would get turned off.It sounds like your Mobile Homes are much better insulated and thus will help to reduce the cost of the electric bills.We wish you the very best!