Process to Demololish an old Single Wide

Anyone have any Internet or Youtube resources with a good efficient breakdown on the teardown process? I need to demo a couple old units and won’t be paying some jerk 5k to do it.

Couple Sawzall’s two helper’s from park @10.00 hr cash and a 16 ft minimum flatbed with plywood walls… fill it up hall to dump piecemeal.
Found someone for $200.00 to cut up the frame and axles and haul it to scrap yard.

@parkinvestor , as per your question:
"- Process to Demolish an old Single Wide"

My Husband and I had about 14 condemned, single wide mobile homes in one of the MHPs that we purchased.

The previous Owners of the MHP were allowed to hire unlicensed workers to demolish the mobile homes and then put the debris on the street for the city to pick up.

Then we purchase the MHP and the City changed their rules. The City required that we hire a Licensed Contractor to do the demolition and we pay for and put the debris in waste containers.

We had a Licensed Contractor manually demolish 3 mobile homes (not a good thing).

We then contracted to have a mobile home mover physically take the mobile homes to the City Dump for $1,000 per mobile home. This was our best deal. We had approximately 10 mobile homes moved to the City Dump.

We wish you the very best!

Kristin,

How were you able to determine if the homes were road worthy? That’s been my biggest concern on a couple of homes I need to demo.

Thanks guys. What I was hoping for is a breakdown on the actual tear-down process. Work inside out on cabinets, etc. Walls, etc… I’m looking for a breakdown on the most efficient tear down method to create less of a mess and keep asbestos from flying everywhere. I could run the trailer over with an excavator but that creates a big mess.

IMO, you have to ignore the idiotic county rules and get it done. Every moment in time we are probably breaking 100 laws anyway.

1 Like

@ErnestPecunio , as per your question:

• “How were you able to determine if the homes were road worthy?”

Well, that is a great question.

We let the Mobile Home Mover determine the road worthiness.

Thankfully, 9 of the 10 Condemned Mobile Homes made it to the City Dump in one piece.

The 10th Condemned Mobile Home broke into 2 pieces on the paved road in front of our MHP.

Thus, the 10th Condemned Mobile Home was brought back into the MHP.

We ended up paying for the one half of the Mobile Home to be demolished on site.

The other half of the Mobile Home had extra wheels added and was then taken to the City Dump.

@parkinvestor, as per your question:

• “Breakdown on the actual tear-down process.”

We engaged the Contractor to demolish the 3 Mobile Homes for about $800 per Mobile Home.

At that point we were under the impression that the City would pick up the debris.

Unfortunately, the City would not pick up the debris (despite doing it for the previous Owners).

Thus, we then had to rent waste containers to put the debris in.

Since the debris was already in a pile, we had to pay our Contractor more money to handle the debris twice.

All in all we probably paid $1,500 per Mobile Home to have them physically demolished.

For us it was way easier and less expensive to have the Mobile Homes just hauled to the City Dump.

However, as per Ernest Pecunio you do have to worry a bit about them staying in one piece on the way to the City Dump.

Process to demo:
Gut the inside to the studs, remove everything including all insulation in walls and ceiling. Remove roof and rafters, Remove windows, door and siding. Brace walls and cut into manageable sections with a sawsall. Detach floor from frame and cut into sections. (don’t try removing the sub floor it is glued to the floor joists.)
Contact metal scrap dealer to take metal siding and frame.
Load everything into dumpsters as you disassemble to avoid moving everything twice.
Or hire a demolition contractor to do the entire job and be done with it.

I would highly recommend you get a demo permit from the county. You do not want to cross the county or the building inspector as you will have to work with them in the future. Avoiding regulations is extremely short sited and never to your advantage if you intend to stay in business.

2 Likes

Thanks for all of the great answers, guys.

So the $1500 included the dumpster?

I’ve had a few hauled away over the years and my cost was typically about $450 to make road ready, $700 to deliver to dump, then dump would weigh and charge about $500. So about $1650.

The best part about that is it’s gone same day.

@ErnestPecunio , as per your question:

• “So the $1,500 included the dumpster?”

Yes, you are correct that the $1,500 included the dumpster.

I would highly recommend just hauling away the Mobile Homes.

As per @ErnestPecunio statement the following is wonderful:

• “The best part about that is it’s gone same day.”

Having a bad Mobile Home gone the same day is a wonderful feeling :grinning:.

1 Like