Private Utility & Environmental Due Diligence

For anyone who deals with private water or sewer systems. Whether you currently own a park or look at

one in the future. You need to consider using a professional. Since replacing a sewer system can easily

cost $100,000.00 or more and water problems can open you up to serious legal exposure.

Do you know the answers to the questions below? These are just an example of what is involved with private

water & sewer systems.

Private Utility Due Diligence

How do I know when my wastewater tanks need to be pumped?

How much does it cost to have them pumped?

How do I know whether the drain field is working?

Could my wastewater system contaminate my property? If so, how? How would I know?

What are the consequences if my property were found to be contaminated?

Does the wastewater system pose a potential threat to the drinking water system?

Does the drinking water system pose a potential threat to the wastewater system?

How much value do the residents put on making sure the wastewater is properly treated?

How much value do the residents put on making sure the drinking water is good?

Even though the owner says there is no way to improve the water quality, could he be wrong about that?

If there is a way to improve the drinking water quality, what is the cost and the ROI?

Environmental Due Diligence

Do I know what the land was used for in the past, before it was turned into a mobile home community?

Are there contaminated sites nearby which could somehow affect this park, either now or in the future?

If this park turns out to be contaminated, what are the consequences for me if I purchase it?

The State Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) doesn’t have any information to suggest any problems at this park, so it must be environmentally OK, right?

If I don’t ask about contamination, and the seller does not tell me, I could just blame him, right?

If the seller is financing, then I don’t need an environmental evaluation, because the bank is not involved, right?

Should I walk away from a “contaminated” park, or a park with water or wastewater problems?

Could there be an opportunity to increase my purchasing leverage? If so, how would I recognize that opportunity?

If I were able to recognize such an opportunity, how would I capitalize on it?

As part of the new resource list, we encourage anyone who deals with private utilities to contact:

David G. VerSluis, Jr.

Sierra Consultants, Inc.

91 South Main Street

Kent City, MI 49330

(616) 678-5157 office

(616) 560-1790 cell

He is an expert in Private utility Due Diligence & Environmental Due Diligence.

1 Like