Ohio Public water access

Park is currently on well water. We are looking to go on public water.Cleveland water and Brunswick City in Ohio is saying we would have to annex to city to get public water. We don’t want to join the city due to zoning and the politics. The water tap is close to the park. Anyone have experience with this type of issue. I always thought public water is a right not based on local politics.

I have letters and emails out to the local politicians , but I’m sure more pushing will be needed. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Public water is not a right. it looks like you are looking to have your cake and eat it too. You want to go public on Cleveland Water, but you do not want to annex to Cleveland. Why would the city give water to somebody who is not in the city? Make you choice to either join the city or shun it. The choice is yours.

First, it’s Cleveland water, but not Cleveland City. The issue is Brunswick City. In this country we put together water systems in foreign countries and have the EPA , but don’t give water to the working poor? I’m not talking about the constitution, but rather folks who deserve access to public water. A basic necessity that should be available when areas are very populated. In fact, certain people were given public water for annexing and others have it and didn’t annex. As such, I don’t agree with the tone or with your messaging. I do believe the poor deserve access to air and public water.

McGuire, your message seems to be politically biased citing spending money overseas and on certain government agencies. Also, I do not understand your focus on the “working poor” since this is not a wealth issue.

Of course humans have a right to water and air regardless of wealth, but we do not have the choice of who will deliver water to our homes. There are 43,000,000 Americans (15% of the US) on Private Water - mostly due to the fact that they chose to live in a place that is not on public “city water.” If I buy a $15 million mansion on the ski slopes in Aspen or Vail, I cannot expect to get public “city water.” If I buy a $4,000 mobile home in a rural park outside the city’s water system, I also cannot expect to get public “city water.” This is not a wealth issue.

If you do not like being on the well, you have the right to move to the city or annex to it, but you do not have the right to demand a public water system install a pipe outside its boundaries.

1 Like

mPark is correct in his assessment of your situation. The reality is that according to your own statement you do have the option of access to public water but do not accept the term being offered. The help/advice we can offer is very simple, either annex to the city or stay on well water. Either way your residents basic needs are achieved.

I guess the question will become why some folks in the township have be been given access to public water without annexing while others are being required to do so? I don’t know if I accept it’s not a wealth thing at this point. I know based on my readings areas in the township have access to public water and others don’t. I will research those who have access to the public water.

From our experience with somewhat similar issues, we put in a NEW water well system that was 75% cheaper to operate than city water. The city was charging $40 base rate per home plus over a minimum usage. Try to figure in depth the cost of city water versa well water. When we sold that property it was a PLUS to the buyer and our increase in value per cap rates was over $400,000 compared to cost of city water. Private water wells can be a plus, keep an open mind.

Hello McGuire,
Around the world Water is often based on politics.
. Your Right to water is often based on voting for the right candidate (also: roads, electricity, internet, etc). You must vote for the right cartel or your toast!

So, vote for me or else!
Right?!

To Carl’s point, we own a mobile home park that is on municipal water, but the house next-door is on a private well. The prior owner of the mobile home park at one point tried to purchase the house so he could secretly tap into well water to avoid buying municipal water. I am not suggesting anybody do that, but it illustrates the point that private well service is perceived to be superior by some people.

Our cost to operate one of our wells has been about $15 per month per unit over the past 5 years which is very cheap. Understood, we could have a large unexpected capital repair charge at any time.

The well water in Ohio requires a License for the park and the operator tone licensed. It’s a hassle.

That is typical is many states to require a well license and certified well operator.

The park owner can easily acquire a license or hire one for $75-$125 per month. As a park owner have been licensed for over 25 years–presently have it hired out. Our cost per site with well water is approximately $4 per month with certified operator----we do not use meters—never have—with city water it is a must. We have had major problems with city water (quality and cost) and thus putting in NEW water well systems. If you well water is a problem, using city or county water is probably smart plus a new buyer does not want problem water. At one park the water pumps lasted over 15 years—we pump over 50 g/m.