Non renewal of sub lease

Iam in the process of having tenants sign new leases to the park I just bought.I have one man that subleases 3 trailers.Question is how long do I have to give him to get his renters out so he can move or sell me the trailers? Park is in Texas.

Ask an attorney. Call your local large apartment buildings and ask them which attorney they use.

But why do you want to evict the people or own those trailers?

We run a background check on all our residents, but sub-leasing is fine as long as the sub-lesee passes our background check (bad credit is OK, but don’t accept violent felons or child molesters). That way we’ve got both the mobile home owner (Lonnie Dealer) and the occupant on the lease. You might consider working with others in your park that will own and fix up those mobile homes. That way you just collect the lot rent.

My 2 cents worth,

-jl-

Jefferson There are several reason why I would not like to sub lease these trailers.1 is they take up a double lot.I want use it for two lots, I could charge more for the double lot but the trailers wont bring enuff in rent to justify someone to rent them.Second is the trailers are in rough shape and are 12 wide.If I were to buy them Iam still not wanting to put money into 12’ wides. I guess I could run the back ground checks,make the owner paint and fix up the trailers and keep them .I have many vacant lots to fill before needing those double lots.If I were to let them stay should i make them pay more for the double lot?

I’m just not a fan of booting out paying mobile home owners. Sure, you could charge them more. Give it a try. But as you’ve identified, you’ve got other empty lots to fill first. I’d prioritize filling those first, before I’d be kicking out paying customers on my double-wide lots. You could also have those old-but-paying mobile homes moved to some of your vacant single-wide lots. You’d need to work out who would pay for that, but it would both keep the paying customers in your park, and free-up the double-wide lots for bigger/better homes at higher lot rents. Moving a singlwide in your park will probably cost $3,000, but if you split that with the mobile home owner, or give him a bit of free lot rent for his new lot, then maybe you are getting an extra $150(?)/mo. lot rent for your doublewide space, and that’s a pretty good payback.

My 2 cents worth,

-jl-