New park , pit bulls

About to close on a turn around park one lot has a swimming pool , two other lots have several pit bulls tied to trees and post …. What’s the best way to handle this.

Tell the tenants to sign the new rules and give them 3 months to comply or non renew their leases, assuming they are month to month.

Usually people don’t feel their property is secure (other riff raff tenants potentially) and why they keep dogs out like that, so do your best to address that as part of all this.

Talk to the tenants to get specifics, so you can evaluate if there are other things you need to do. Good luck!

First, get familiar with your state’s MHP laws. Understand how notices need to be given and any specific timelines.
For example, In my state, I am required to give a 60 day notice for violation of park rules. But, if no park rules are in force (or I am providing new rules) I either need a signature on them or to wait another 60 days for them to be enforceable.
Note that doesn’t preclude me from talking to the tenants and trying to get them to comply, but I do so knowing it will take a while to get them to court if it comes to that.

Check with local animal control, but tied to a tree may not be acceptable way to keep any dog and a quicker solution for you.

3 Likes

Google “ Table of State Dog Tether Laws” and the Humane Society “ Chaining and tethering dogs FAQ”
Some states do not allow it.

Also there might be rules about pit bulls you might want to create as a new owner of the park. Dogs chained up outside create a very noisy unpleasant environment, and a potentially hazardous one also.

New Guidelines for Living - have them sign them — which includes (this is what we have):

No pets over 25 pounds (eliminates all the conversation of ‘my pitbull is a baby - he wouldn’t bite a biscuit’.

and - $50 deposit + $25/mo per pet - 2 pet limit. (This will eliminate 95% of your problems - because if they weren’t paying before, they won’t want t pay now).

AND in your new Guidelines for Living - all this is in there.

Here is some verbiage in our Pet VIOLATION Notice:

You are in violation of your lease agreement for the following item(s):
Unauthorized pet(s)
Unauthorized guest pet(s) Pet(s) over 25 lbs Breed Restricted Pet(s) chained outside
Pet(s) not on leash/runs loose Aggressive pet Not picking up pet waste Unsupervised pet(s)

ALL PETS MUST BE PRE-APPROVED BY THE OFFICE – PET FEES APPLY!
PET POLICY:

Pets must weigh under 25 pounds when full grown and a 2 pet maximum
Pets must be kept indoors (no chaining or tying up of pets outside)
All pets must be kept on a leash and accompanied by owner at all times
Breed restrictions apply
Pets cannot cause a nuisance in park or to other neighbors
Pets cannot show aggressive behavior

Owners must remove pet waste and dispose of properly when outside of their lot
Pets cannot be fenced in or caged outside
Pets must be licensed and vaccinated as required by law and supply management with evidence upon request
Cats must be kept indoors and not let loose within the community
Residents are not allowed to leave food outside for animals to attract unwanted animals
Guest bringing pets cannot violate pet policy

FAILURE TO MAKE THE NECESSARY CORRECTIONS TIMELY COULD RESULT IN
NON-RENEWAL OF YOUR LEASE AGREEMENT!

3 Likes