My First Eviction

Tenant did not pay May’s lot rent and has been unresponsive to texts and emails. Today I googled the names of the occupants and the tenant’s boyfriend was arrested for assaulting police officers with his car while in possession of a stolen AK47 in April in NC. He must have posted bail because he was arrested 2 weeks later in SC for possession of over 500 pills, a few pounds of marijuana and several grams of cocaine/meth. I’m an out of town owner but will be there next week and will file the eviction papers. Can anyone advise me of what to expect? Neighbors say that there has been no one there for several weeks. If no one returns to the property or pays rent, what recourse do I have please? The park is in NC.

If its your first one, depending on your state, why not just hire an attorney to walk you through it. Call the larger apartment complexes in town , find out who they are using , see if the same name pops. thats probably your guy.

2 Likes

Don’t wait 2 weeks - start with an attorney now.

I agree, if I was you I would get an attorney on the phone immediately, its a good chance they have abandoned the home at this point, lord only knows what you could possibly find in the home as well. Get an attorney on the phone even before you get to the property to start the UD.

I take it the space rent has not been yet as well? If not, just start with normal eviction process for non payment of rent, the rest will take course itself.

1 Like

You best have an attorney for this. First this is more than just lot rent, you have a dangerous criminal and a community problem living there. In addition, it looks like you have wasted a lot of time in researching and quite possibly missed key dates in which notices must be submitted in order to evict someone. Get an attorney now!

@HollyH , as per your post:

• “Tenant did not pay May’s Lot Rent and has been unresponsive to texts and emails.”
  • “If no one returns to the property or pays rent, what recourse do I have please.”
  • “The park is in NC.”

As per your post your Mobile Home Park is in:

• North Carolina

We have 2 Mobile Home Parks in:

• South Carolina

In South Carolina we have a 2 Step Process for Evictions and we (as the MHP Owers) can do the Steps.

However, I just googled Evictions for North Carolina and found the following information listed below.

It appears that North Carolina’s Eviction Process is a bit different from South Carolina.

Thus, I agree with others that you should contact an Eviction Attorney concerning the process of Evictions in North Carolina.

As per other suggestions call Apartment Complexes in the area and asked them what Eviction Attorney they use.

Use an Eviction Attorney to go forward with an Eviction.

We wish you the very best!

_http://www.duganleger.com/overview-of-eviction-procedure-in-north-carolina_

“Overview of Eviction Procedure in North Carolina”:
According to North Carolina General Statute § 42-25.9(a), a landlord has unlawfully attempted to evict a tenant if the landlord does so without a court order. Such an attempt may result in heavy civil penalties. Therefore, it is vitally important to follow proper legal eviction procedures.

- Step 1: Eviction Notice and grounds for eviction A landlord, or lessor of property, will not seek to evict a tenant, or lessee of property, without a good cause. There are several potential causes, or “grounds” for using the eviction process.

Non-payment of rent The most common reason a landlord seeks to evict a tenant is for non-payment of rent. In that scenario, a landlord is required to give a tenant an “Eviction Notice”. The Notice must include a demand for rent monies, and give the tenant 10 days to pay the rent that is due.

Staying longer than lease term (holdover tenant) Another reason for an eviction occurs where the tenant fails to vacate the premises upon the end of their lease. If a tenant is being evicted because they are staying on the premises beyond their lease term, the notice period is as follows:

7 Days if the tenant paid monthly
1 Month if tenant paid rent yearly

• Other lease violation A lease will have several provisions that, if a tenant fails to abide by, may be grounds for an eviction. If a tenant is in violation of the lease agreement for another reason, the Notice is called a “10 Day Demand for Compliance or Possession.”

- Step 2: Summary Ejectment After a tenant receives proper notice from the landlord, or the landlord’s attorney, and the notice period has elapsed, the landlord must then file a Complaint In Summary Ejectment if the tenant remains on the property. It is important that the landlord follow proper court procedure and does not attempt to personally evict the tenant! The Summary Ejectment Complaint must be filed with the Clerk of Court, and is accompanied by a filing fee. The Complaint is filed in the county that the tenant lives in.

- Step 3: Service of Summons and Complaint Once the landlord files the Summary Ejectment, the court will give a Summons and a copy of the Complaint to the Sheriff, who then serves, or delivers the documents to the tenant. There is typically a fee charged for this service, which varies by County.

- Step 4: Magistrate Hearing After the tenant receives the Summons and Complaint, there will be a hearing in front of a Magistrate. The tenant must attend this hearing if he/she wishes to contest the eviction. The landlord and tenant will be provided an opportunity to present the facts as they see them, including documents and witnesses for evidence. After each side has spoken, the Magistrate will make the decision as to whether the tenant should be evicted, and may even order the tenant to pay money for unpaid rent or damage to the property.

- Step 5: Judgment If the landlord wins the eviction, the Magistrate will issue a court order forcing the tenant to leave the premises, entitling the landlord to possession of the property again. If the Magistrate finds the tenant owes money, the Magistrate will also issue a “Money Judgment” requiring the tenant to pay the money owed to the landlord.

- Step 6: Appeal There is a 10 day window after the Judgment is signed to appeal the decision to the District Court. The party seeking to appeal, either the tenant or the landlord, must provide notice to the other party of their intent to appeal.

_- Step 7: Final Step If the tenant chooses not to appeal, or loses the appeal, the tenant must leave the property within 10 days. If the tenant remains on the premises, the landlord may ask the Court to order the Sheriff to evict the tenant.

I find sitting in on eviction Court can be enlightening in itself.

Update. The felon is in jail and a local charity has stepped up to pay the rent for his ex girlfriend and her toddler son. The same charity is working to help her turn her life around and they are even remodeling her trailer for her. Thanks for all of your excellent advice!

2 Likes