Mobile home value

Hi everyone. I have a POH in our community. One contractor said he thought it was a total loss which I tend to agree with. The frame is likely in good shape and I don’t think the roof has any leaks but other than that. Its a 1968 Fleetwood small 12 x 40. It would need to be gutted. I put an ad on craigslist and there seems to be interest in coming and removing it for free. I just don’t want to miss out on anything if there is value there. I think it would take 10k plus to get it livable and it it was gone with no money out of pocket I could get lot rent from a RV right away. Any thoughts would be very helpful Thank you! Dave

@stanfda
If people come to remove the home for free, who’s responsible if the home falls apart on the road or highway?
I’m in the same situation. I have some dilapidated homes I want to get rid of as well. It’d save me lot of money if I can remove it for free.

1 Like

If I had a 1968 12-wide that was in bad shape, I’d put it into dumpsters.

3 Likes

My guess is that if you sign over the title and let the DMV know its on them. Hopefully they have required permits, experience etc.

Thanks, that is exactly what I need to hear. I am going to start looking for MH removal / demo companies. People have interest on craigslist but no one has the money or capability to get it out of there anyway.

Before you Demo any MH, get an asbestos inspection.

That $300 inspection will save you TONS of headaches.

The last thing you need is Grandma Shirley calling the health department on you and then you end up on the 5:00 news.

1 Like

theres no title on homes that old. I say if someone wants to take it for free let them

The answer depends on what it will rent or sell for, renovated.

I often see people advise to “avoid park-owned homes”.

But sometimes POH are good. Once renovated nicely with durable flooring (such as SPC or another waterproof laminate), they can sell for a lot. Or, in some markets, rent for a lot. One market we service gets $1,350/mo for 1BR, $1,650 2BR, $1,925 3BR, versus $400 rent controlled lot rent, so POH are a good way to provide clean, safe, nice housing to qualified renters.

Keep in mind the cost of moving out one home and moving in a better one. It’s a lot more than $10k. Depending on the cost of your contractor, for $10k, you can turn that 480sf 1BR into a nice 1BR home, with waterproof laminate flooring, 2 color paint (body & accent), new stainless steel gas range & dishwasher & sink/faucet & modern laminate countertop, new GFCIs & new lights, and new miniblinds and you have a really nice place for a tenant or buyer to make their long term home.

Offering a nicely renovated mobilehome will typically attract more qualified and more stable, long term applicants than will an older RV (motorhome).

Remember that if you start moving in older, not so nice long term RVs, you’re setting the tone for your park and a lot of better-qualified potential applicants will no longer be interested.

All of these decisions depend on the first thing I said above, which is what it will rent for or sell for, renovated.