MHP...28 Lots...2 Acres...Well & Septic...How Can That Be?

MHP For Sale:  28 Lots  /  2.07 Acres  /  Well & SepticA MHP recently appeared with a Price Reduction, so I took a gander at it.I am just curious if others have run into MHPs (28 Lots…2 Acres…Well & Septic) with such a high density that also use septic systems and a well.If yes, did the well pass tests for water quality indicators and contaminants?How often did the government test the well and what happened if the well did not pass the test?One of the water quality indicators (WQI) is ‘Fecal Coliforms / Escherichia coli (E. coli)’ which is (as per www.cdc.gov):'Fecal coliform bacteria are a specific kind of total coliform.  The feces (or stool) and digestive systems of humans and warm-blooded animals contain millions of fecal coliforms.'I am just curious how 28 Lots could have ‘treated’ sewage successfully drained on 2.07 Acres and not contaminate the well in the process.A lot of posters are much more well versed in sewage treatment (thank you for sharing your knowledge), so perhaps you can shed some light on this subject.We are in South Carolina and this particular situation would not be allowed by SC DHEC.My Husband and I have subdivided acreage and applied for and received septic permits.  We have had new septic tanks and drain lines installed for homes.  We have had septic tanks pumped and drain lines repaired and replaced for homes.  Thus, we have worked with septic systems.Even if the MHP had 2 Lots sharing the same drain fields they would all be draining on or near the water supply of the well.What are your thoughts? Thanks So Very Much!

DEQ standards were absent 25-30 years ago as per states and the regulations were left to states generally. DEQ’s present standards still require chlorination of perfectly PURE WATER and thus with chlorination contaminated water will pass. What most people do not realize is the poor quality of water most cities use and the process to sell potable water is high and the PRICE OF CITY WATER WILL BE RISING as some park owners are finding out. Even though your residents are paying the bill that takes potential rest increase money from the park owner and some owner will start to realize they need to figure in a higher future cost when even buying. DEQ is here to stay and for some the future will be testy. even with city unities. For instance with city water I still needed to be a certified operator, do monthly bacteria samples, stage 2 DBRP, CCR and many more tests. For the above example park do not waste your time LOOKING OR THINKING ABOUT IT!!!

Carl, thanks for your response!We were NOT thinking about buying the MHP.I was just fascinated how the MHP could continue to legally operate.

In most states don’t tell don’t ask is smart path at this point. DEQ is so overloaded with all the new regulations that they are very short handed. Let’s pretend we are interested in the above park and if you ask DEQ it is probably not on their radar but with some buyers interest and probing question it could be received many citations to the point of closure. My DEQ person said unless it is life and dead that needs a 24 hour response they are not looking for problems and more works. Presently DEQ is looking at over 150 NEW CONTAINMANTS (NEW TESTING) that will affect our operations that WILL INCREASE city water costs but small operation are presently BELOW THEIR RADAR.

Kristin, I thought this was a very interesting question.  Carl’s answer is very informative also.I am not a geo engineer, or anything close, but perhaps the water table could be so much below ground level that the natural filtering action of the soil (what remediates the septic system) sufficiently cleanses the water by the time it reaches the depth of the well, notwithstanding the density of the lots.  In other words, if the filtration has a significant downward component before it reaches the water table, this may compensate for the concentration of the sources near the surface.Similarly, I can imagine situations where the water is drawn from a well that is upstream of the path along which the sewage percolates.  Therefore the parks’ sewage never comes into the park’s well; it might be contaminating someone’s water but does not stay within the 2 acres.Please keep in mind these are just some thoughts, not based on anything in my experience.Brandon@Sandell

I own a park that is 8 lots on 1/2 acre. I will never purchase a park with such small lots again. Unless the park is in a very nice area the odds are its going to be very low clientele and you will have lots of turn over. Luckily I have made quite a bit of money on my little park, but its a job. I have to work it.  There is much more turn over than my nicer parks. More home rehabbing ect. The bottom line for me is this: Not many decent customers want to live in a small home with a small yard surrounded by a bunch of neighbors who cannot afford anything else. THEY DON’T REALLY WANT TO BE THERE AND THAT WILL EFFECT HOW THEY TREAT THE HOME, MANAGEMENT ECT! Throw a bunch of people in this situation and its a mess. I can run a 22 pad park with the same time commitment as my 8 pad park…Never again… Throw in septic and I would run from this deal.

Why did you even consider the park?        I have tried to indicate on this site less  than  20 sites you will probably earn less than if you worked at Wal-Mart.     

Several years ago I looked at a mobile home park in Texas that had about 60 sites on 5 acres. I was sure the park was connected to the public water and sewer systems. In talking with the owner, I was onsite at the time, I asked to see a copy of the water and sewer bills. She informed me it was well and septic. The well house I overlooked, it was attached to the back of a large residence that came with the MHP. The park was built right over the leach fields. The septic tanks were covered up, but she had a map were they were located. Needless to say- I did not even put an offer on the park.