Jetting a sewer clog

We called out a plumber for a clog in the main line, and the invoice came back “Sewer backed up, High pressure water jetted, Successfully unclogged line”

Should I be concerned the plumber possibly damaged the clay tile line?

Do other park owners explicitly instruct the plumber to only snake?

We don’t instruct plumbers to snake. We let the plumbers fix it as best as they see fit. We’ve only ever had one problem with the lines collapsing after a high-pressure jet, and that was in a park with 40 year-old infrastructure and a known root problem, so we couldn’t really fairly blame the plumbers for that collapse. We replaced 6’ feet of line or so, and have had no problems there since.

My 2 cents worth,

-jl-

It’s more like a pressure washer in the sewer pipe. A snake is more likely to damage and doesn’t clean nearly as well.

Jefferson and Coach are correct, let the plumber decide which way is best. Jetting does not injure the pipe, the water comes out at about a 45 degree angle. Apply a little trig to that 45 degree number and you’ll see that the impact is reduced by, I’m guessing here, 60 to 70 %. Which means the force of the water is cleaning or clearing the ID of the pipe. Also, VC tile, vitreous clay pipe, is pretty durable provided that it has been ‘bedded’ properly in sand.
If you have roots intruding you may want to take other actions, see previous posts or reply to this and I will try to find the name of the product that many of the cities use to handle their root intrusion issues.
Jim Allen

Thanks everyone,
Jim, which foaming root killer would you recommend? Would this be something the manager should apply, or a professional should handle?

There are foaming root killers that can be applied by your manager or you can flush some copper sulfate down the drain periodically.

Please note that these are only truly effective if used regularly. They won’t clear a clog they will only prevent it from recurring. They are preventive more than curative.

1 Like