In house maintenance or outsource?

For 70 lot occupied park , no POH but 6-7 infill vacant spaces, what is your experience between having your own maintenance guy VS sub contract out? The park needs snow plow, lawn mowing, minor plumbing, road patch from time to time.

Having your own maintenance would incur the cost of workman comp insurance, vehicle insurance,gas, vehicle maintenance,etc. Is it worth it?

The age-old debate…this topic never gets old lol.

@parkparkpark
So how do you handle the maintenance of your park?

My practice is to outsource all regular maintiance. Primarily snow and lawns. I do not want the headaches of purchase, maintiance, insurance etc of doing in house
or the issues related to having the employee.

1 Like

We have 170 units (5 POHs) over our multiple parks, and we still outsource everything. Of course, there are a couple of guys we trust that we call for almost everything. We just do not have enough work for a full time person to be busy everyday, so I have not seen the need to deal with all of the headaches you described.

I’m not sure how many units we will need own to justify having a paid employee to conduct all of our maintenance? However, I know that we aren’t there…yet.

I hope this helps!

You have to decide if you want to be in the construction business or the park business. Having tools and employees to manage is the construction business, hiring a contractor to deal with all of that instead of you is the park business. I personally have decided to be in the park business.