In case of fire or wind damage

It’s time to ask :weary: — we own a 24 space park, TOH, in Florida. Most homes are older ones, not built to withstand high winds. Most do not have insurance on their homes. In case of fire or homes destroyed by a storm, we will have a bunch of homeless people who will not have the money to remove their destroyed homes. So, how does that work? Do park owners try to get blood out of turnips or suck it up and pay remove the destroyed homes themselves?

I require, as a clause of their lease, that all home owners have adequate insurance coverage. Not only on their homes but also liability to protect me. They are required to show me proof annually of insurance coverage.
Some argue they can not afford it but as a condition of their lease they have no option.

There are a few old threads that talk about FEMA helping out as part of hurricanes, which would be the most likely issue in Florida. Due to the broader housing shortage from these FEMA has actually infilled parks. You can’t really guarantee or rely on this as a business strategy.

For once off issues I think you’re on your own to clean those up and deal with the fallout. I’m not sure how much insurance can really help beyond loss of income. Your deductible will be higher than the cost to have a scrapper break down a home (or two) and throw the rest in a dumpster.

A basic fire policy on a single wide is about $500 or $600 per year here so I am not sure how reasonable it would be to require your tenants have these unless it’s a high lot rent community.

You cannot get blood from turnips. Sometimes ownership comes with risks.

I believe you can provision clean up costs in policies like this for debris.

Failure to achieve goals is often the result of a defeatist attitude. Tenants waste money through poor financial decisions.
Ownership comes with a responsibility to force tenants to make wiser financial decisions.