Ike repair advice needed

Hello Friends

The hurricane wet the insulation under my mobiles should I remove it totally or is it possible to cut it open and let it dry?

Hi John, sorry to hear about your situation. Hope you made it through the storm ok, besides the wet bellyboard.

If I had your situation, I would treat it just like we treat a busted water line that has soaked the bellyboard. In the past we have cut the belly board fabric and let the insulation dry. If it’s nice out, we normally try to remove the insulation and put it out in the sun for a few days. Even in Fall weather the sun will dry out the material much faster.

Make sure that once the insulation is dry that there is no mold present before you put it back. It’s also not a bad idea to check it a couple of weeks to a month later to make sure no mold has popped up.

Fiberglass itself doesn’t really support mold, but dirt does, and if dirty water got on you insulation, its worth the precaution to check.

After you you put your insulation back in, just re-cover it with some Flex-Mend material and some Flex-Mend tape and you should be all set.

Good luck!

-Mike Scarbrough

John,

It depends. How wet did it get? Did it ALL get wet or just the lower center area?

Usually the underbelly will help maintain the moisture in the insulation.

The way I see it, you have three main choices: crack the windows and crank up the heat to (hopefully) dry it out. 2) cut it open, put a bullet heater under there for a day, 3) cut it open and replace the insulation.

Steve