I love trees, but trees are evil

Another task on my list is getting rid of trees that look bad or are too close to the units. The problem didn’t happen overnight and I won’t solve it overnight.

Best tree species are obviously a regional thing, but what are some criteria others have used to decide what to plant? Shade is good, but falling things are bad.

Your soil is the most important factor. pH, soil type, and the depths when layers change will 100% help steer the best tree varieties available to choose. You may have several soil types on your property, and the county should have a soil survey that gives you some indication. The forest service or an arborist can probably help investigate as well.

Then consider specific types, growth speed, resistance to disease, fall colors, cold hours (for fruit bearing trees) and any other ancillary benefits.

I took horticulture in college and almost opened a black walnut tree farm when I was younger, so clearly I am an expert.

I will have to consider a Walnut tree or two in the mix. Used to be a wood worker and it would be a cool legacy to grow a couple for some guy who’s probably not even born yet.

I’m torn between tall shade or lower ornamental/privacy. Thanks for suggesting the county or an arborist. Likely to be my eventual direction.

Remember that tree trimming is one of the most dangerous occupations in the nation. Workers Comp rates for tree trimmers are among the highest in the nation. We recommend hiring that work out to insured contractors. Falling out of a tree hurt when we were 10. Don’t try it at 50.

3 Likes

Don’t plant trees.
You own a mobile home park not an orchard.

Walnuts all over the ground are not something your park landscaper will want to deal with. Trust me.

Also, although my aging parents live in a park with any old enormous trees (which is a reason why they chose that park to buy into), the trees certainly hasten the demise of roofs. A neighbor had a big branch fall through and had to spend $4000 to repair his roof.

Fallen leaves cause mold and rot to roof tops, and also increase groundskeeping labor costs to continually remove seeds, nuts, leaves and debris from roads and property. It’s year round because in spring its seeds, and buds everywhere. Summer it’s storms and falling branches, lightening, etc. Autunm it’s leaves again, and winter, it’s frozen icy branches snapping and causing all kinds of dangers to humans and their homes.

Aesthetically we love trees. Financially they are a pain in the butt. Depending on where you are, consider drought / fire resistant plantings…which will cost more at first but save you money over time. I too have a lot of back education in this subject. :grin:

1 Like

I have spent thousands removing dead, dying or dangerous trees. I have never spent a dime planting trees. Don’t plant any thing that will grow taller than 6 ft.

I just spent $7500 removing dead Trees from my Maine Park. Totally killed my profit margins for the year!!!

Ouch!

You guys are helping me to justify shrubs and small ornamental trees, but I’ll definitely be staying clear of any big stuff.

Indeed, trees are evil. I give up to grow any of them again