How to Become a Turnaround Park Manager

Hi everyone, it’s been a couple of years since I’ve posted, but I’ve been lurking about from time to time. Figured it was time to check in with a question.

Though my ambition is still to own my own mobile home park and the study course has given me plenty to chew on in that regard I am eager to put into practice what I have learned in turning around a park.

Both Frank and Dave outlined a few deals that may have gone south if they hadn’t lucked upon a good park manager. Mostly, near as I can figure, these managers were found within the park itself or brought in from another park which they owned.

Which brings me to my question… I have the recipe to success, but I don’t have the pot to cook it in. How do I convince someone to lend me their pot?

Maybe I’m being too metaphorical. I’ve read and internalized the material in the MHU study guide and I’m dying to put that knowledge to work. If I’m not yet in a place to purchase my own park, I could at least be gaining practical experience and credibility by the successful management of a struggling park.

The problem as you may have guessed, is that I haven’t a background in property management. I have applied to a few positions, but while my enthusiasm is often enough to grant an interview this lack of experience sinks me and prevents me from applying to most positions on the Mobile Home Park Store Employment page (among others) where most opportunities are seeking experienced individuals of 2+ years in the business.

The principals outlined in the study material really do not seem that difficult to execute and I find it difficult to reconcile such stringent requirements with the knowledge that many managers are hired right out of the park, presumably with little to no previous property management experience.

One thing I have considered to strengthen my application is to purchase the Manager’s training course as well, but I fear that only the people within this forum would even know what that is. Also, online courses are still a far cry from actually doing.

So, for those in-the-know, are my (non) credentials really so off-putting or do I just need to brush up on my personal interviewing skills?

1 Like

Turn around parks come is all shapes and sizes. Almost none of our managers have previous park management experience. With that off the table- every park needs certain skill sets, and every park differs on these.
If a turn around park has lots of park owned homes, or abandoned homes understanding and having the ability to rehab homes might be a necessary skill set. If a park has private utilities, aptitude to understanding how those work might be important. Maybe the park needs someone to manage new homes being pulled in, and the sales that go with that process.

My best managers, and I have smaller parks- like between 40 and 75 pad sites, also do the rehabs on the homes. They fix sewer lines, water meters, mow grass, show homes etc… they sort of do it all…

I tell people tools do not make you a mechanic. Its what you have between the ears that directs the tools.
Turn around parks have lots of moving pieces, and while the payoff is big, so are the headaches. Lots of sweat, heartbreak, crud that goes wrong. Most stuff takes longer, costs more and is harder than one thinks… On the small scale, your not sitting in an office managing crews… you leading them in the field.
Well- thats how things go around my parks at least. And if you know me, you also know I understand about every aspect of how a park operates, right through how the homes should be rehabbed. Including that private water and sewer stuff…

You should post more about where your located etc…

Send me some contact info if you are still looking. I like your enthusiasm.

1 Like