Home needs new siding, skirting

A home in our park is bringing down the look of the park. We’re a couple violation notices in, and he doesn’t seem like he plans to do anything. We’ll have to non-renew his lease if he doesn’t replace the siding and skirting on the home, its pretty far gone, I don’t see any other options here, but open to ideas. I did offer to help with the financing of the repairs, and he hasn’t decided yet, says he’ll probably just sell it.
Couple of questions:

1. in the case I do finance the repairs and bill him back, I would imagine I would want to have some sort of agreement which states that if he fails to make the payments then I would get title to the home.
  2. How much does new siding on a home like this run?

Open to any other ideas as well.
Thanks,
Aaron

Whoa, shes pretty far gone and he knows it. And he knows what the inside looks like.

About $3,000 to stuff it in a dumpster, I don’t think there’s any saving that one.

Also curious if the tire on the roof is serving a function :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sold to be moved. I wouldn’t allow that home to stay in the park.

Maybe move it to the landfill but that back rotted wall is going to blow out on the way.

The tire is most likely over the water heater vent. A tire or two can stop wind from blowing down the vent and putting out the pilot light.
Works for the old furnaces with a pilot light too.

Very possible but it looks likes the water heater door is on the left side here. I heard that the wind whips the old metal roofing so bad is why tires are placed up there. Regardless this home has outlived its usefulness, tenant is not going to invest in it this late in the game.

Well that’s pretty unanimous, not worth re-siding and re-skirting. just remove it. 10-4 thanks everybody.

1 Like

Tire on the roof is known as “the hurricane package.” :rofl:

2 Likes

I was with Frank Rolfe and a boot camp group at one of his communities in Cincinnati. I pointed out a home to him that was basically a shell you could see through (thinking to myself there is no way that was salvageable), to which he emphatically stated it WAS salvageable.

Now, I do not know how the inside of that home looks, but we have renovated two (2) homes that we received for free that once looked like that home. The insides were in decent shape where we replaced toilets, some plumbing, new flooring with very minimal sub-flooring repair. On the exterior we stripped and replaced all the exterior with new ridged foam insulation, replaced the windows, exterior doors and new metal roof. The total was about $16k materials/labor and we sold the home three months later for $28k financed by a bank. I like the fact it has a pitched roof. In three (3) months we made about $10k in profit, have a brand new “looking” home and a resident paying $350/mo lot rent plus ALL utilities which at today’s CAP rates equates to about $63k in value. Look at it as a potential diamond in the rough. In this same park we had a homeowner renovate his pre-HUD, flat-roof, eyesore by stripping it, adding trusses for a pitched roof, new windows, siding, doors etc. He did most of the work himself and I could not believe the transformation.

If homes were easy to obtain today I agree with everyone else and would scrap it, so it will all depend on getting the home for free, the condition of the inside, where you are located and what homes availability is in your area. Just getting a turn-key home set-up today costs $4k-$6k so consider your options carefully. You could evict the current resident for not complying with notices and make sure they pay to have the home removed, OR just tell them to give you the Title (if you want to fix it up) and the tell the resident they won’t be responsible for the cost of removing the home.

As an FYI this was in the Midwest - not California. Just another perspective…

Good luck!

3 Likes

Maybe clean it up and burn it.

If you are in a area that sees mobiles in high demand selling for a high value maybe worth fixing up but if the demographics of your community is section 8 or low income it isn`t worth spending the money. Your other option is to get possession and sell with the conditions that the new owner can not take occupancy until the home is renovated to your standards. This is risky as they may move in without you knowing and then you are in the same place you are now in.
Bottom line is it boils down to the demographics of your community.

I would contact a car dealer and get a lease agreement that allows you to repo the home. I’m not sure. I usually just fix up the home and their rent goes up the more my contractors touch it. I just say the more we touch it the more the rent goes up. You could offer to pay for materials and get volunteer labor. I have a guy in one of my communities that does all of the plumbing work after work since he used to be a licensed plumber. He has been such a help to so many people in need. He is a blessing.

If you can find contractors that work for housing and a little spending cash, they can do an amazing job.

We did end up replacing the siding and skirting for them and recoating their roof. Arranged to bill them back over two years in monthly payments. I choose to do this over kicking them out and demolishing it mostly because the owner of the home struck me as reasonable and was very cooperative. My contractor also went inside and said it was actually not too bad inside. Since fixing the outside, we saw they installed new AC, so it seems they are on board with making the home and community better.

2 Likes

Nice work.

Looks like you gave them a Hand up.

Pretty amazing what a few bucks can do to an old MH.

It’s too bad stories like this don’t get more publicity.

1 Like