Gravel Road in the Park

Currently, the park I am doing due diligence on has gravel road, no potholes but does have drainage problems according to the tenants.  Any suggestions on how to handle this?  Thanks in advance.Shan 

We only have one park with gravel roads.  Have a local gravel company come dump and spread a few tons of gravel.  It’ll probably cost you $800 - $1,200.  Of course you might explore having the roads paved ($1+ psf).  Tenants tend to not care about gravel vs. paved, but banks do.  So the biggest reason to pave is to secure funding, not to raise rents or occupancy.Good luck,-jl-

Got it.  Thanks, Jefferson!Shan

Get specifics, Shan, on the drainage problems.  That is, are these rain related problems or sanitary sewer problems?  It sounds like rain or storm related drainage problems.  If so, that’s not uncommon in some areas depending on the rate of rainfall and the soil types and conditions in the area.  For example, my Dad’s house in SW Ohio will frequently have standing water in the yard after a big downpour even though he has a creek running through the side yard.  This is because there is a layer of clay 3 to 4 feet down that impedes the absorption of water into the soil, depending on how much recent rainfall he has had.  The water soaks into the soil, traverses horizontally through the soil to the creek, then runs under the road to the woods on the other side of the street.One way to ‘sell’ the gravel roads is to say that they help with rainfall absorption into the soil, which is true.  If you’re not up to date on CA water problems, there is great concern about reclaiming and recycling rainfall to help keep water tables from being depleted.  In the past, we have just diverted almost all rainfall to ocean outfalls which is bad for the water table and very bad for the ocean.  Please update the forum with what you have found out and what you do.Jim Allen

Jim,I will call some professionals to take a look and get their opinions on it.  Will keep everyone posted.  Thanks for your time.Shan

From a liability perspective, insurance companies really don’t mind gravel roads.  For one thing, they are inherently uneven so people expect a lower standard of evenness / flatness.  And falls on them tend to not be so severe.  Surprisingly, we have very few slip and fall losses of any significance on gravel roads.

As suggested you should get additional information from long time residents as to exactly what the issues are with water. This will assist in determining the severity and cost to correct. Fixing this problem should be your first order of business as the new owner. If it can’t be fixed you may not want to purchase the community as it will be an issue residents will continually be hounding you to correct.

all rainfall to ocean outfalls which is bad for the water table and very bad for the ocean.  Please update the forum with what you have found out and what you do.aion kinah / cheap aion gold

ShanTX, my Husband and I have two Mobile Home Parks and they both have gravel roads (one has a bit of blacktop also).Our Mobile Home Parks info:1.)  MHP #1:  -  10.9 Acres -  24 Lots - 3 Crowned, Gravel Roads (1,755 Feet Long Combined) - No Drainage Issues - Yes Potholes -  $3,300 - Paid $3,300 To Have 50 Tons Of Crush and Run Gravel Put On The Three Roads2.)  MHP #2:-  11.9 Acres-  65 Lots-  2 Gravel Roads (A Little Blacktop) With Swales-  Paid To Have An Elevation Survey & Drainage Survey-  Investigating Redoing The Swales; Placing Culverts Over Swales For Driveways; Placing Gravel Over Swales; Leaving The Remainder Of Swales Open With Grass To Collect WaterWe wish you the very best!

1 Like