Filling lots -what to do next?

I want to put a home in an empty lot. I located the septic tank. I think I need to do a septic tank, water line inspection, and an electrical line inspection next, right? I’ve been told that it’s not possible to do these inspection without a home hooked to it. But I don’t want to spend all that money to put a home in there and the utilities ended up not working. Advice on this? Thank you very much.

The first thing you will most likely need is a building permit allowing you to bring in a home. Without a building permit first approving the lot for a home and approval of the home itself there is no point in proceeding.
It’s going to be expensive unless your park is in the boonies where regulations and building codes do not exist. If the utilities should happen to not work you then get them working.
If the utilities at any time in the past were connected to a home on the site they should still work. If the lot has never had a home you need to determine if utilities were ever run to the lot…sewer, water and hydro. Sewer and water are easy to test yourself, for hydro you will need a electrician and the utility company.

1 Like

@Greg has good comments, only thing to add is there are cases when the electric or septic are so old that they must be replaced - I have seen this several times. It’s always nice to know about those things up front, which is why you do that during your feasibility period prior to purchase. And it’s also easier to replace those items without a home in the way.

1 Like

Thanks, Greg. Would you mind elaborating on the “it will get expensive” part in the building code paragraph? Thanks!

I’ll take a swing at it. Power- Don’t be surprised if you need brand new service, including meter and pole. 200amp service is a common update unless you are going for an RV. Replacing septic isn’t something I’ve done, but if you need a new field line, that can be a few hundred bucks.

May be well worth it, but do budget for those expenses before rolling in a new home.

1 Like

I can only give you info based on my area. Putting services aside (hydro, water and septic) a building permit in my area runs between 1.5 and 2K. Lot prep depends on codes, compacted gravel cost about 2K and then you are dealing with local codes from piers on grade to pilings or possibly a full concrete slab. Depending on your local codes you may be looking at thousands out of pocket before you see any returns plus the cost of the home.
I mitigate all those costs by putting them on having a tenant bring in a home. I then make them responsible for lot prep, permits, home setup and hydro. Probably unrealistic in a trailer park but in my more upscale market very doable.
In some cases the pay back to the park owner is simply not worth the upfront expenses.

1 Like

Thanks, Greg! Great advice! I had people calling me and wanting to move their homes in my lots. They told me that their inspector told them they need county septic tank approval first. But how would u get county approval without the home moved in first? Am they confused or am I confused

Hi, Do you mind tell me where is your park located?
Could you please update your situation.
Did you get a home in? Thanks

The answer you are looking for needs to come from your local officials - building inspector. He will direct you to the government agency responsible for inspections and approvals.
It may require a inspection from your ministry of environment.
Start with your local officials.

1 Like