Faux Rock Skirting Material

Has anyone here had success using some kind of simulated rock-finish composite or hardy-board type material for MH skirting to help give new homes a rustic look?

If so please share info, links, tips, etc.

Thanks.

I’ve had a few tenants put it on as skirting, it looks really nice.

@FlyRealFast…when you say “success” I think you might be asking in terms of making the homes more appealing for sale and that would be very market specific. If you think your potential buyers will like that over generic vinyl/steel skirting then give it a try. If you are asking about using alternative types of skirting - anything is doable. Most traditional skirting has upper/lower tracks and panels that interlock. If you want to be creative you can create framing backed with something like plywood that you could mount anything aesthetic to like these: https://www.textureplus.com/store/faux-stone-panels.html. If you live in colder climates we have many residents that purchase insulating foam https://www.homedepot.com/p/RMAX-Pro-Select-R-Matte-Plus-3-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-13-1-Foam-Insulation-Board-637898/313501510 from Home Depot and cut it to fit behind any skirting wedged between the bottom of the home and the ground/foundation. The most important feature to skirting is ventilation for moisture control, and how much ventilation depends on where you are in the country. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes - by success I mean a) using an alternative and more decorative type of skirting material to make the homes and the overall MHC more appealing to both residents and new prospects, and b) using a durable material that will hold up well against weather, UV fading, weed wacker damage, etc.

Had not considered the idea of adding insulation behind the skirting - interesting. Not much additional cost and one could imagine at least some energy savings in the colder months. Will check into it. Definitely will make sure to include plenty of vents.

Saw the Texture Plus panels - nice look but pricey. Also found EverRock skirting which appears to be pretty cost effective, about $1,500 in total material costs for 58 x 28 double wide homes.

1 Like

Yes,
I have done this and it makes a big impact on the home looks much better.

I do not use the plastic fake rock stuff. It breaks down pretty quickly and looks horrible after a few years.

It is a lot more expensive to install if done correctly. In the coverage area, we install cement backer board then mortar the faux rock/brick onto that.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Urestone-Old-Town-24-in-x-46-3-8-in-Faux-Used-Brick-Panel-4-Pack-ul2600pk-70/206677842

We typically will only do it on homes that we think we can sell for $100K or more.

We also typically do not use it for the whole house. We just do it for the front of the house.
Front of home with Brick

2 Likes

We use Hardie Board Soffit and Paint it. It lasts a lot longer than the plastic and it holds up to kids with weed eaters. It is a little more expensive in the beginning, but it never needs replacing.

Richard

2 Likes

We have found that some of the faux stone that home owners use for skirting looks realty tacky. If you are going to go with stone get good quality realistic looking products. On my mobile home flips I use white metal roofing attached to a insulated wood frame for skirting. We have freezing conditions here so the metal extends below the wood frame and 3" deep into 6" of pea gravel to compensate for frost heave. Our homes generally sell in the 100K - 150K price range.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions - very helpful.

Just trying to balance the long-term positives of using a higher quality skirting solution vs the need to keep installation costs as low as possible, the normal challenge I suppose… A great look and good durability over time are the ultimate goals.

Will post pics of the final standard we select for Eagle Park homes.

Brilliant idea.
Thanks for the Tip.