Downed power lines

Who is responsible to repair power lines that have dropped from a rotted post and are now 5’ from the ground? Is it the park or the home owner?

I’d call your electric company first to make sure it’s not their line. If it’s yours (service to home) it’s your responsibility — part of the park infrastructure. My tenants are responsible for the line from the meter to their home.

1 Like

Depends where it goes. Meter to home is owned by the tenant. Outside the meter could be either the park or the utility. Either way, it is a liability and you will have to find some resolution quickly. If it is a tenant issue, you will probably have to fix it for them then recover cost later.

Call your utility company right away. They generally respond promptly due to the huge liability and danger of a downed power line. The power company may even have a 24/7 hotline to report this issue. They may come running to help. And if they say it’s not yours, then get help immediately. When you have an obvious dangerous problem, and that causes severe injury or death, the liability loss will be “whatever you have.”

Thanks for your response. I did call the local utility company to come out and turn off the power to the home. They said it had to be fixed before the power could be turned back on. They couldn’t say whose responsibility it was to fix. The pole that held the lines up rotted away some time ago and there were no issues with power inside the home. I just need to know if it is the park’s responsibility or the homeowner

1 Like

At least in all parks I’ve owned, the service poles (all poles not owned by the electric company) are park responsibility. It sounds like that is rotted in which case it’s on you to put a new pole in.

1 Like

If the utility pole rotted, it is your problem.

1 Like

Ok. My problem as the park owner or the home owner? Your answer was not clear. Thanks

The park owner is responsible for poles that are not the power company’s poles. No tenant is setting their own poles for power. That would be crazy. The landlord needs to maintain the infrastructure.

1 Like

Thank you. That’s pretty much what I figured. Turns out the park may be running the electric underground. They need to bring everything up to code anyway.

Thanks for your response.

1 Like

Sorry JoMarie77, I did not realize that you were a tenant when I said the issue was your problem. I assumed you were the park owner.