Capital reserve in or out of expenses?

When doing a valuation on a park, I seem to be off on the numbers when I add in the capital reserve.

As I am already calculating repairs at $100 a lot. When I add in the capital at 5% the numbers don’t work out.

Do you keep the capital reserve, as part of the expense ratio? Or is this just for budgeting.

I am looking at a park with 22 paying lots at $225 a month. Water is submetered, however I get a 46% expense ratio when I have the capital reserve included in expenses.

1 Like

We do not budget for a ‘capital reserve’ line item. I think you are double-counting. That said, if there are significant deferred maintenance issues, you need to reduce the purchase price of the MHP for those items.

Best,

-jl-

1 Like

My background is in apartments. We’ve found that some investors make the mistake of adding the capex (above the line) with the expenses. You will need to budget for cap-x but, they are not typically figured in with the monthly expenses. The replacement of infrastructure like roadways or water systems is not part of the regular expenditures to run a MHP or for that fact apartments. However, NOT to save for the inevitable wearing out of these components would be a BIG mistake. I was taught that the capex should be subtracted from the NOI, resulting in the “Cash Flow After Capital”.