Can I Be Forced To Pay For Road Widening?

Friends -

An engineering firm has contacted me on behalf of the State saying they are widening the highway in front of our property. While this is generally good news, they are saying I will have to pay to ‘relocate’ a sewer pipe that runs under the highway.

Is it legal for the government to demand that I spend money to help them put in such an improvement?

Many thanks,


I’m not sure on the sewer pipe and that would be something you would want to talk to your lawyer about; find an easement or that type of attorney;

On the road widening that for us was a good thing as they paid us a good chunk of cash to take some of out land. And the road is a beauty and they even came into our entraces about 20 feet as a courtesy to us.

Will they be taken some of your land and will they pay you for it?