Buyer bit the dust with park owner

Here’s the deal. I showed my SW to two parties at the same time last Friday (purposefully). The lady is there with her two daughters, she wants it badly. They ask if it can stay. I say, “As long as you have a reasonably OK rental history, the landlords will allow it.” (They have been good about approving 2 other candidates that were close to buying.) I said the landowners only concern was no problems in their small three-lot park, and keeping the grass cut. She said her grandson could take care of that, that he sometimes stayed with her.

She pulls out the checkbook and writes me a check for the asking price minus $1,500 (I came down because she had cash). We signed a purchase agreement.

So, yesterday we have the meet-up with the landlords. I had told them previously about my buyer. They thought she sounded fine. The buyer begins telling them about her grandson, how he is bipolar, no one else cares about him, she has adopted him, etc. I tried my best to do damage control, but the landowners antennae are up. I try to smooth over before I leave, but before I’ve even made the 30 mile drive home the landowners call. They called the buyers’ neighbors (her references), and the grandson is a trainwreck. Long story short, they know want the trailer moved.

And the next part is, you guessed it probably, my buyers want their money back. I called a nearby park for them, confirmed that it had space for a SW, and told them to go by this weekend. Not sure who else has encountered this situation, but feel that I shouldn’t have to suffer because the woman did not give me full disclosure about her grandson, and above all, feel that my purchase agreement clearly states I’m selling the home in “as-is” condition. Considering that I dropped the price $1,500, that can cover the cost of the move.

Please tell me if I’m off-target here, because I do feel bad for them, but don’t feel like I should be tethered to their problems.

Thanks

Refund her money. You do not want to get into the middle of a deal like this.

Moving a home is very labor intensive, not only the move but the logistics. Walk away and keep on marketing the home.

Refund her money. You do not want to get into the middle of a deal like this.

Moving a home is very labor intensive, not only the move but the logistics. Walk away and keep on marketing the home.

in a real sense you weren’t able to finalize the deal (get the Owner’s OK for the home to stay.) You don’t say old this grandson is, but it sounds like a problem. I know several bi polar people and they seem real normal to me… I do know they take meds for the illness.

Refunding seems fair…they bought the home with the reasonable expectation it could stay. The few deals I did in other peoples Parks, i handled a little different. I got a copy of their app and had prospective Buyer’s fill it out and fax to Park for approval. If approved we went to the next level (how much down, how much per month). I tried not to spend a lot of time or expense until they qualified with the Park. I try to do the same today with sales of homes. I’ve given some of my best sales pitches to folks who couldn’t or wouldn’t write a check!

Good Luck,

Greg