Big issue with ice on new paved road

I paved my park’s driveway last fall and I’ve had such a huge problem with ice ever since. My plow company salts and sands regularly but it’s so cold right now the salt doesn’t seem to be working. It’s been an ongoing problem for a few weeks and I’m really concerned about slip and fall liability. Right now it looks like the road is a complete sheet of thick ice. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

As long as you are applying the sand regularly it will be difficult for anyone to prove you are responsible for injuries. They would have to prove negligence which appears not to be the case. Not to say someone is not going to try to win the insurance lottery but there is little you can do to prevent that type of person from trying. Regrettably we live in a sick society. Good luck.

1 Like

Okay great, I should be covered then. I have a contract with the plow company to salt/sand as needed and a few times I directed them to do it extra when it was really bad.

Follow up question on plowing…I have them commence plowing with a 3” accumulation of snow. We split the difference between 4” for residential and 2” for commercial. Should I be doing 2” instead? I’ll check with my insurance too but was wondering what you or others do?

I have a paved park in NH built on a hillside. We’ve run it both ways. Last year we added extra salt to the sand mix and try to keep the road dry. Used a ton of salt, worked reasonably well. This year we’re using the contractors standard mix and the road hasn’t been seen since December.
Similar number of calls (always the same 1 or 2 people), similar cost. Bottom line make sure your contractor is insured and doing their job and from a liability perspective you should be ok.
We do 3” as well

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the response. I’ll keep things as they are and hope for the best!

Definitely do 2 inches. Sand or salt when it’s only really bad. The plow companies love to push salt when it’s not necessarily needed.

1 Like

I’m convinced they make all their money on salt and sand. It adds up very fast when they spread it every time!

We have a gentleman at our church who does commercial plowing. He does a lot of big parking lots for business and car dealerships. He claimed that the money is in the de-icer spray. So I’d assume the same goes for salt and sand.

2 Likes