Applicant pays for background check, wants a copy of document

An applicant paid $50 for a background check. She had 2 evictions so we turned her down. She is asking for a copy of the report, since she paid for it.

How do you handle this? Do you give her a copy?

I personally wouldn’t but you might want to check with your attorney. People like that just want to make problems and besides that she already knows what is on her report.

1 Like

Seems to me she wants it so she can contest it, or maybe sue you for whatever reason she can come up with. I would ignore this request, you only have to lose.

2 Likes

I do not give them a copy. The service you use should handle the proper turn down documentation.

1 Like

@Loggerdon my response is late in the conversation, but I do recommend providing all declined applicants an “adverse action letter” for their denial. I also recommend having a fair housing based application process and are treating all applicants within those guidelines. In our company, we use a screening service called AmRent, that is integrated with Rent Manager and between the screening and our company, fair housing based process we make a decision on the overall application and supporting documents/information. We do provide applicants with their screenings, if requested, but only in person, we never give screening information over the phone, proof of applicant ID is required. Very few request a copy of it. Less than half that do request is, are just unaware of what actually shows on their background or credit screening, and our adverse action letter explains what they can do regarding it (most don’t take those steps).

*I am not an attorney. This advice is based on my experience in the industry.

1 Like