After evicting a tenant who owns their mobile home

Hi All,

I just evicted a tenant who owns his mobile home. What options does he have? Can he leave the home in the community? Can he transport the home out? Can he sell the home? Can he destroy the home? What can’t he do?

Thank you!
Gulliver

There is nothing he can’t do. Hope he doesn’t torch the home!

1 Like

What would you do to minimize risk?

Buy the home from him. Otherwise start the abandonment process.

2 Likes

As the owner of the home he may do as he chooses however… if he does not continue to pay lot rent you can take action through abandomonment or try to force him to remove it, if he decides to sub let it you have final approval on any tenant he chooses, you can also issue a no trespass notice against him to prevent him personally from entering your property.
I would inform him you are hiring a lawyer to force him to remove it and/or offer one dollar to buy it. Assuming it is worth keeping.
What he does and what you choose to do depends entirely on the value and condition of the home.

1 Like

Would you rather buy it or just go ahead and start the abandonment process?

If you think you’re or would be wasting your time with the owner trying to buy then I’d start the abandonment process. Just depends how reasonable they are and if your lines of communication are open.

1 Like

Ok got it. Will do. Thank you.

I will assume you are a tenant and not a landlord.

The park owner did not make them homeless and ruin their credit the tenant did that themselves by forcing the landlord to have to evict them. It was the tenants choice to be evicted.
The cost to evict and the lost rental income was probably far more than the home is worth so the home owner has used up it’s value to the park owner.
$1 was probably too much but I tend to have a generous business model.

1 Like

I am not a tenant, but I do work in social services with those who are in need of inexpensive homes after new investors bought mobile home parks. These people are disabled in low governmental monthly benefits, and or on a fixed income (as many elderly are) and were already stretched to the limit before the new market level hikes were installed. My parents are part of this group too.

Thus, how is it “their fault” they are being evicted just for living in a mobile home park? They can’t sell their homes even when there are buyers if the management turns down the buyer. They can’t even find a roommate to offset the increased rent. You are making it seem like all mobile home persons who are evicted are bad people when they are not.

I don’t see how this is “off topic.” I am merely bringing up the situation (evictions) which is continually discussed on this site and in the post above. Help me to understand.

The tenant that I’m evicting is a single middle aged man that does drugs and has not paid his rent. If you don’t pay your rent then you get evicted. It’s pretty simple. This is nothing personal. He knows the consequences of not paying rent. He knows when the rent is due. He’s been in the community for years. This is not a surprise for him.

He has any option that you can imagine including some that you probably have never considered. He can do everything that you said. There is nothing he cannot do including actions that can land him in prison.

If he is a drug addict, I presume he can’t hold a regular job, which means cash is king. I would offer a reasonable price for him to sell the home to you on the condition that you can inspect the home, he must vacate by a certain date, and the condition must not deteriorate between the offer price and his vacate date. If he damages the home, he gets paid less until ultimately, nothing.

Recently, we had a tenant get angry at the manager, so he set the living room of the home he owned (not the manager’s home) on fire and fled the state. It is not arson because the value was too low. County condemned the home and the park now has a time limit to either repair the home or demolish it.

I’ll try that. I’ll have him sign a written agreement in regards to selling the mobile home in its current condition with no further damages and that he Must vacate the MHP by x date. Hope it will work. Thanks Michael!

This is true/false, but in any case it should not be a problem to find a “qualified buyer” if the price is right. As I have said before, the problem of poverty and housing is not one that private markets in a capitalist society can solve.

By law he has the right to sell the home. If you make it impossible then they can sue you.

All I know is this one owner had different buyers lined up over a four month time, and even had a check in her hand, but the management (one of the biggest mobile home companies in the nation) turned each of them down.

Continuing the discussion from After evicting a tenant who owns their mobile home:

I have the same situation. The court paperwork says “The Court Find The Following: Plaintiff (me) is the owner of the real estate and residential dwelling located at X.” I do not have title for the unit and was awarded ~$3500 for missed lot rent and court/lawyer fees. Does this mean I can use the court eviction findings to file for title/deed? Anyone been able to obtain title through eviction and not abandon route?

@Ryan_Hill, Give us a call – (800) 658-7577
Ask to speak with a title clerk in our title department. They will let you know what you need.