AC repairs

Not sure if this topic has been discussed recently, but I’d like to know how other operators on this forum deal with AC repairs. I’ve got an older 70’s model home that I could either repair the central air unit for about $1,400 or go the cheaper route and just install a couple window air units . I really hate to spend a lot of money on an older home.

What’s the best choice here? And would you spend the money if it were a nicer/newer home?

Thanks,

Robbie

I am a long time reader of this forum and I first time poster. I think this site is great for all manufactured housing investors. I have owned 4 communities in the past. I now own one community that is a 4 star property and I take great pride in my investment. We have 90 homes and we lease/option 55 of those homes. All our homes are vinyl/shingle.

Now onto the AC question. I have been beating this up in my head for a while also. AC units are one of my biggest headaches. The cost of the unit themselves, the cost of repair and the price of freon is crazy. I too have thought of just putting in window air and forget it. Once a window air goes bad just throw it out and buy a new one. The downside to this is that it makes the house look a little more “trashy”. I would also like to know what other investors do about the AC units.

Allen

We generally upgrade our communities with newer mobile homes (1995 - 2005), and we do all of them with central heat and air. The few older 1980’s homes we have we equip with window units.

-jl-

I don’t use window units. Too often they are installed in a manner which leads to water leaking down the wall causing rotted floors.

In the past I called my prefered HVAC repair company every time a resident reported an AC breakdown. Reviewing my invoices, I could see that the overwhelming majority of the repairs were that of electrical component failure (capacitor, relay, coroded connections, or thermostat, blower motor) or dirty a-coil.

I mentioned this to the contractor who handles my plumbing and electrical repairs and he has since been making such repairs at a lower cost to me.

For the type of product these people are purchasing, I would absolutely go the window A/C route. The type of customers living there shouldn’t expect to get central A/C. I’ll borrow from Frank… You can’t get Ritz Carlton service for Holiday Inn prices. If they want central A/C, they can gladly go down a mile or two to a luxury apartment complex with central A/C for $1000 per month. To combat the water leaks, install some ice and water shield where the water is likely to drip. I just sold a mobile home without any window units or central A/C as is. They brought their own unit and installed it.

If it were my own home, I would gladly watch 5 youtube videos on it and try to fix it myself. If that wasn’t possible, I’d get a minimum 3 bids on it, then repair.

In a older unit such as you have I would definitely go with a window unit. It is probably more in keeping with the rent you receive on the unit and the quality of tenant. Just make sure it is installed properly.

In the case of a higher rent newer unit, less than 8 years old, I would repair the central air.

The first question you have to ask to yourself is that if you want to continue to live in that old house. If the answer is yes, then you should definitely repair your ac. You should also call some air conditioning repair boca raton technician, as they can better suggest you if your ac really needs repair work or it would be better to install window units.

I have a question regarding Air Conditioner. My air conditioning unit is leaking condensation in my house. I fear that the catch pan is rusted through. Is there anyway to repair it insted of replacing it?

Catch pans are now plastic. They don’t rust. Your drain is likely clogged.

When I was in Dubai, then ac of my rented house was old didn’t work perfectly. So I contacted ac maintenance in Dubai and they gave advises me what to do with that ac.

I side with the posters who stick with central air for multiple reasons. First, window units look trashy and if you sell a poor product, you are more likely to get less desireable tenants. Second, they are much less efficient than central air units and do not last as long. The difference in efficiency make the cost of renting/owning the home more affordable although the up front cost is more. For the same reason, I make sure that every new home we buy maxes out on the available insulation to improve energy efficiency and affordability.

Sad to hear that, But there are so many contractors who charge more than from your price, Also it’s upon on the company and their quality and services, It is obvious no need to worry about it. You should hire a good contractor for newer home.

I am quite impressed with heat pumps which handle both heat and air conditioning. they need backup when the temperature gets near or below freezing.