Whose Responsibility to Fix Skirting on TOH?

An investigator from the state swung by our park recently and issued a violation for one of the units having loose/missing skirting. The tenant contends the septic guy damaged it when he was performing some work recently and wants us to pay for the repair of the skirting.

I am a bit skeptical of the tenant’s claim but nevertheless have no interest in playing the he-said she-said game. I am more interested in addressing the issue by fixing the skirting on the home. As a new MHP owner my take is the repair cost is the tenant’s responsibility since it is a TOH. Can other experienced park owners confirm this? Or is the repair a cost borne by the park owners?

1 Like

@RLM , as per your post:

• “Whose responsibility to fix skirting on a TOH?”

For a TOH it is the Tenant’s Responsibility to repair the skirting (as it is part of their home).

Now your post did state:

• “The Tenant contends the septic guy damaged it when he was performing some work recently and wants us to pay for the repair of the skirting.”

Did you hire the Septic Contractor or did the previous Owner (as you stated you were a new MHP Owner)?

If you hired the Septic Contractor, personally as the Owner I would pay for the repair.

However, if the previous Owner had hired the Septic Contractor, personally as the Owner I could go either way.

If you pay, the Tenants might think that you are easy or soft and try to get away with stuff.

However, if it was your Septic Contractor, it is really the Septic Contractor’s fault…which means your fault and you get to pay :-).

We wish you the very best!