TV Advertising?

This question is mostly intended for park operators with a retail operation. I’m curious if anyone has tried TV advertising on their local news channels. I sold out my entire inventory in April and May last year and was banking on doing the same this year. With the Coronavirus putting a damper on everyone’s businesses, I thought perhaps stepping up the marketing campaign and offering 3 months free lot rent would help propel sales. In addition to the large banners & flags on site, I am going to start running large ads in the paper again and am seriously considering going on television. Sure it costs $6,000-$15,000 to run ads over a 3 month period but if it reaches hundreds of thousands of viewers in the state it could really pay off and the cost be absorbed. Thoughts?

1 Like

It makes sense to me that while people are social distancing themselves or quarantined, media channels such as television, newspapers, and radio will have an even greater marketing impact. In addition, the target group for MHPs (the 50% of Americans earning less than $30k annually) is more likely to see those ads. Perhaps 30% of people with <$30k income watch >5 hours of television a day. During this time of corona crisis, the % will probably go up. I believe television would be more effective than newspaper ads, since this group is probably less likely to read the paper and picking up a paper at a stand will become less likely.

1 Like

I would advise against spending on advertising at this time. The virus situation is only in it’s infancy stage at this time and is going to get much worse. There is a good possibility that the US will be the next major epicenter. The likelihood is that all citizens will be ordered to stay at home across the country. If this is the case your add money will be wasted.
I would take a wait and see approach at this time.

1 Like

Several states have announced shutdown of all non-essential services. Real estate showings and sales are forbidden in 2 states in which we operate - Ohio and Delaware. Real estate management is acceptable however, as we have to service the tenants that we do have. If you push the advertising, you may find a similar shutdown in your state. May be advisable to do what you have always done in regards to new sales until you have more clarity of the containment of the pandemic.

2 Likes

Until you know that the less expensive mediums are not successful I wouldn’t resort to the most expensive one…during an unprecedented pandemic.

3 Likes

I completely agree with your logic. I was thinking along the same lines. The downside about increased viewership because of people quarantining means that they probably don’t have their normal income for the time being since they’re laid off and everyone’s tax refunds are most likely being used to make up for their lack of income.

1 Like

@Greg @mPark @jhutson Thank you for your responses. After reading these I think I’ll sit tight on the TV advertising until we know what is going to happen with the containment of the virus. I think in normal times TV ads in the closest big city might have a good impact on sales but not if people are’t allowed to go look at the homes and meet with the salesman for a showing. I’ll try my normal marketing efforts for the mean time and offer some really good incentives without giving the farm away and see what happens.

1 Like

TV? Radio? Do people actually watch and listen to that anymore? :smiley:

Facebook Marketplace - its where are peeps spend all their time.

1 Like

@BradSimmons I’ve been having a good response from Marketplace lately…had to pay to boost the ads but still cheaper than TV

1 Like

Yes, you’re right. There are many questions in this direction.