Tenant got Married, how to get wife to do background check

New to MHP business–park in Texas. Tenant got married and my manager has told him that any one staying over 2 weeks per the rules needs to have a background check run on them and be added to the lease. Tenant keeps saying, “oh yeah I will get you the application” but never does. what are my next steps? If she does have a bad background would I non renew or what would be my actions?

Thank you
Pat

Send a demand letter with the application enclosed. “If application has not been receipted for processing by X date then your lease will be terminated and you (and/or your home - if TOH) will be evicted in accordance with Park Rules, Section A, Subsection 3. We will subsequently follow up as needed based on the results.”

I’d really suggest you get with a local attorney to cover these nuances of enforcing your rules and how to handle background check criteria the first time - even certain counties (their JP’s specifically) like to have things done a certain way in Texas. Understanding those up front is much easier than when you’re in the courtroom and have to go back and try again… even if it costs you a couple hundred bucks.

Good luck and keep us posted.

1 Like