Sub-Master Metered Electric - SMART METER OPTIONS/EXPERIENCE

I’m closing on a park with Sub-Master Metered Electric in the coming month…don’t judge…I’m getting it at a good price.

I’ve budgeted significant CapEx to update the electrical system. Can anyone speak to their experience installing/utilizing cellular-enabled electricity meters i.e. smart meters akin to the Metron-Farnier water meters?

Many thanks.

I’m far from an expert, but I have two parks with submetered electric. I use a very low tech system of having the manager read the meters every month and typing the readings into an excel spreadsheet, and it works quite well.

I feel like the logistics of submetering electricity is much easier than submetering water/sewer, and an expensive high tech system for electricity might not be worth it while it likely is for submetering water. Electricity:
-Doesn’t spring expensive leaks
-Doesn’t have meters that semi regularly break like water meters do
-Has a meter that isn’t buried underneath the home and wrapped in heavy insulation

1 Like

Good advice.

To be clear - work needs to be done to the pedestals anyway prompting the question, “Hey, since we’re here is it that much more effort to upgrade the meters as well?”

Thanks for input!

Paul,

You can use an Inovonics or Cerenti system both are cellular based RF infrastructure. Systems varying in price but for under fifty spaces price is around $1,000 plus the cost of pulse output meters, we use the Leviton Series 2000 electrical sub-meters for most applications which retail for about $350. Installation is @ one hour. Consider water sub-metering capitalizing on the same RF infrastructure. Also, we provide billing services for all utilities.

We’re here to answer your water sub-metering questions.

Sincerely,
Dan Helton
President
Southern Water Management
727-827-4509
Dan@SouthernWaterManagement.com

1 Like