Statutory Rape Felon

Thoughts on whether to allow in park if all else checks out well? Would be placing large downpayment as well.

I guess by definition they’d be on sex offender registry which is not ideal

Do your community rules allow felons. This is a very simple business decision. Either you open up your community to felons or you don’t. The law is changing regarding this issue in the US which places landlords in a position of making a business decision. It remains your decision as to how you are intending to manage that aspect of your business.
Assuming you have opened up the community to felons you should not differentiate one from another. A felon is a felon. You have taken on the risk of renting to felons and should take full responsibility if that is the direction your community is going.

Down payment/deposit amount is irrelevant.

Get what you’re saying, although odds are I bought into an existing felon or two and don’t even know about it. I am a proponent of second chances, but probably makes sense to wait it out given high demand area.

You have a choice to either clean out or embrace felons.
It really depends on where your priority falls, business or second chance.
I do not allow any risk factors to filter into my business as it places other tenants in jeopardy.
To each their own.

1 Like

And there is the sex registry issue. If he has to be on the sex registry and that pops up on the crime watch websites, you could have a mess on your hands.

Second Chances are always a good thing to offer our fellow human beings, but what has to be taken into consideration in this case are the following:

1. This is/was a sex offender
  2. Implications on your business should tenants find out…
    2.1. How many people will call and complain, repeatedly?
    2.2. How many existing tenants will decide to leave when lease is up?
    2.3. Implications if your park has children and refusal of parents to allow kids outside…impact to park morale overall.
  3. Any Liability on you for allowing someone with a known sex crime background to move in.

Side Note: As a parent, I am not paranoid, but I do check the registry in our area routinely. We moved here and there were no SOs in two miles, now they are just a few blocks away, and make sure our kids are aware of where to stay away from. I don’t do helicopter parenting or keep them on a leash, but I do make sure I know where they are at 90% of the time.

Our parks allow felons in, bu the reason they were convicted is a contributing factor in the decision process, and they are told this when they apply.

Thanks. Sex offender registry makes it a pretty clear-cut decision.

As a sex offender please take my advice. We all make mistakes myself i was 21 and hooked up with a girl at a party who was 15 im now 35 with 2 kids and cant find good housing because of this. A second chance never hurt especially someone who has done there time. Maybe go case by case basis get more infor more felons would be willing to share and be honest if we got an honest chance.

You just sound to judgemental, you dont know peoples past that sex registry has people on it for peeing outside so please maybe do a little homework before sounding like a judgemental pos

I believe in second chances and all cases are unique.

To evaluate offenders on a individual bases requires too much time, effort and trust on the part of a landlord. From a business perspective it is easier and less costly to simple move on to the next applicant.
I understand second chances from a personal perspective, not from a business perspective. There is no financial upside/motivation.

Pass.
I had a low grade sex offender in one of my parks. The guy was harmless, his offense was so low that he didn’t have to register. Something about his girlfriend’s kids walking in on them while having sex and the Father of the kids pressed charges.

While I do believe in Second Chances, we are not a church, we are not social services, we are not a welfare program.

This one Low Grade sex offender was the source of 80% of the complaints I received (from that park). Honestly, the people complaining were being unreasonable. The guy would get the Sheriff called on him if he sat on his porch when the school bus let off the Kids from School. He was basically a prisoner in his own home. Anytime he went outside he would get yelled at etc. The residents threatened to sue me if I didn’t do something.
He ended up moving.

Go for Happy Homeowners; with as clean a record as your park will attract.

NEVER COMPROMISE on an approval for the “extra down-payment” or prepaid rent. These are HUGE red flags. There is a reason they are so willing and eager to pay “extra”. Nobody will take them.

AW