SIGNS put up by tenants

How do you handle political signs? We have a ‘No Sign’ of any kind anywhere policy in place for decades which is getting tested by one person; nearby neighbors have filed complaints about the signs, and are upset. I have sent notices to the resident via park manager, and 3 letters, 1 certified. I really would prefer to not evict a feisty 90 year old. Any ideas?

Have you talked to your state MHA regarding this policy? It sounds like a violation of the First Amendment right of free speech. You may need to immediately abandon this policy, based on your research and discussion with your state MHA (and discussion of any case law). This is not an issue that you have any benefit in enforcing – nor it is an insurance requirement – so not sure why you have it. But it may be time to get rid of it, subject to what you find out.

1 Like

Private property leased to a resident who agreed to the rules. Of course the rules must be legal also. An 8x11 ‘for sale’ sign in a yard for months ‘testing’ the market is an eyesore. Election will be done in a couple weeks so I wouldnt sweat it too much right now. What if it were a Confederate flag sign? [I’d misplace it into the trash].

I have spoken with my state MHA, Frank, and they said it was a reasonable rule to have. It is not unusual in private communities to have deed restrictions around signs, even some that are quite large, like some districts in The Villages in FL. This is how the rules read in one of their districts:

Signs – No sign of any kind shall be displayed to public view on a Homesite or any dedicated or reserved area without prior written consent, except customary name and address signs and one sign advertising a property for sale or rent which shall be no larger than twelve (12) inches wide and twelve (12) inches high and which shall be located wholly within the Home and only visible through a window of a Home with the following exceptions:
Security: Small decals or small signs may be placed on doors, windows and
planting beds next to the house.
Lawn Care: State law allows for a sign to be placed on the newly-treated lawn
until dry.

Many residents in our park have told me they prefer to have no signs. Signs impact how the park looks and once you have signs, it is a slippery slope - some people might like to have many signs!
I do think there is benefit to enforcing it - I care about how the park looks, and creating an environment that is welcoming. This park has relatively small lots, being in a city, and signs would definitely deter, in my mind, from the appeal of our park.
I appreciate your response and your thoughts!

1 Like

Exactly, JAY-E, and before long you have a little battle going on in the neighborhood. I am trying to slide through without it spreading again to nearby neighbors. Thanks for your thoughts!

The First Amendment applies only to the government in this context. On private property you can do as you like.

2 Likes