Septic to City Sewer transition

Am debating biting the bullet and connecting to the city given the age and recurring issues with septic. I’ve spoken to a few engineers and the range of cost estimates not including impact (tap) fees has been quite large. Sounds like I’ll first need to start with a topo survey and the engineering which I’m being quoted in the $15k range. Park is sub 50 lots and is in Tampa MSA. Any general thoughts about the best way to approach this? Want to get the best bang for the buck but given importance and scale of project, going with the cheapest option almost seems foolish. Any help / references are appreciated.

This isn’t going to be much help, but good luck! Real world management is difficult! My advice is make absolutely sure that you understand every detail of what, why, and how. And think about future maintenance – how are you going to deal with this failure or that one. Don’t forget land moves over time and plumbed pipes will eventually get bellies.

1 Like

I would speak to the government’s public works department and start with them. It’s free. I am guessing the $15k study is only the tip of the iceberg.

2 Likes

~$15k is effectively going to be feasibility study to pin down whether I can move forward. That said, any firm I elect to go with will need that study so I can always shop around and get more opinions once that study is complete.

Do you have a detailed drawing of your existing sewer infrastructure?

If so it doesn’t seem like rocket science to draw up a rough outline of what would likely need to be done to convert to city sewer, and how the current system would need to be reconfigured.

I haven’t done this before, but I would talk to one or two plumbing groups who specialize in underground commercial work and discuss what would likely need to be done, and see if I can just get some very rough ballpark numbers for the expected scope of work.

If you don’t feel comfortable doing this, I would think a competent engineer could help you lead the charge with estimating a quick and dirty very approximate scope of work, without doing a full blown $15k survey.

Thanks. Going to involve different elevations, lift station(s), etc so unfortunately think will be more complicated than usual. But thankfully I was able to find an engineer than will do exactly what you said without having to commit to topo, so thanks!

1 Like