Posting rental ads on facebook marketplace

I have had trouble posting rental ads on facebook marketplace. Any insight you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Does one need to have a personal facebook account to place ads or can you set up a corporate only account?

Can we use our phone number in the ad? Email?

My account has been disabled multiple times for violating facebook policy but I have no idea what I’m doing wrong.

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

I am not sure of all your questions, but I do know you can’t put your phone number in there. I tried to do that and it looked fine on my end but had my wife go to the ad from her account and it had the number blocked out. No indication from Facebook that this was the case, since it looked normal on my end, so that was super annoying.

I edited the ad to spell the number out phonetically (582 = fife-ate-too, for example) and it shows up, but truthfully I don’t think I’ve gotten any calls from the ad itself. People just message directly instead and I respond with a copy/paste that says to call the number (the number can be included in the pasted message normally without spelling it out).

I also have recently been having problems with facebook taking my ads down or suspending me from Marketplace completely for violating their “Community Guidelines”, even though I’ve been running the same ad for the past year without issue. No idea what is going on, but it’s a major problem because my homes aren’t being properly marketed anymore.

I’ve been posting several homes at a time and have been banned 4 times in the last several months. Each time I had requested a review, my access was returned. The first several times took about 2 weeks before Facebook Marketplace returned my access. Frustrating, to say the least. Despite their autoreply initially saying the review request would receive a response within 24 hours, this did not happen the first 3 times. I noticed Marketplace has since removed the autoreply of a review within 24 hours. Each time my access was restored, no community standards were violated. Surprisingly, on the most recent ban, my access was restored within 15 minutes.
Based on the circumstances and the timing of when these bans occur, here’s my guess. Sometimes it makes no sense at all; so they may be due to algorithms, but these algorithms are ever-changing. Other times, I suspect they were likely due to disgruntled users making an attempt to falsely report a community violation. I copy and paste the same list of nondiscrimating prequalifying questions. When a person gets upset for various reasons (no pitbull, insufficient income to debt ratio, etc.), that’s around the time I get banned. To work around Facebook’s current systems, try to quickly remove the person from the messaging group and blocking the user before they have time to make a false report. I’ve noticed I have not been banned as much anymore because of this. I also make sure to ask for a potential applicant’s phone number in case communication gets cut off if my access gets abruptly denied again.

Facebook uses an algorithm that tracks “repeated” words that they classify as spam (So for example if you post many homes with similar titles, even if different pictures, they will consider it spam) and it also flags people who sell in marketplace in areas where they are not physically currently in (By tracking where you last logged in or where your internet is connected at). So if you’re from CA and posting ads in the Midwest, it will automatically flag you.

1 Like

I’ve had the same happen to me so we usually join local buy, sell, trade & rooms/ apt for rent groups that are in and around the target market and post in them only that usually does the trick. Please let me know if this helps you guys :+1:

1 Like

That’s great advise @Gonzalo. I’ve had problems with FB Marketplace flagging my ads as spam, and it was likely because of too many repeated words in the same ads and ads posted in multiple states, none of which I was in. I will change my IP address using a VPN next time I login and post my next ad, and also completely change the verbiage and subject line of each ad, and maybe that will do the trick!

Try maybe hiring out the ad posting to people local to that area (the manager?) and you tell them how to post them. Try to have one or two ads at a time per account to avoid risking getting banned.

1 Like