Person Moves In With Family Members And Will Not Do Application/Background Check

Hello,

I have had my managers give multiple applications/background checks to a person that has moved in with their family members who own a home in my park. However, they will not complete and return it almost certainly due to the fact they will not pass the background check.

What is the next step here to remove them from the park? My lease allows a visitor to stay for not more than 14 days before they would be required to complete an application.

You issue a eviction notice to the home owner siting the violation of the community rules.
It is the home owner that is refusing to comply and therefor they must be held responsible. Simple as that.
Comply or be evicted.

1 Like

Kick them out if they do not want to comply with the lease then that is a sign that the will not be a good tenant

Check your parks rules and regulations, before you try to evict which will cost, I would charge them for the extra person staying for more than 15 consecutive days, here in California, any days after the 15 you can legal charge them for the extra person every month.

I would do some research on that, make it worth your while if there is no compliance from the homeowner.

Do not ever allow your tenants to control your business. If you want to screen a new tennat and they refuse your must take immediate action to evict. If you do not you will lose complete control of your community and might as well let the tenants take over.
If you don’t care about your community don’t have rules. If you care never ignore infractions.

2 Likes

This sounds like the current owner or tenant is in violation of their lease. So what does your lease say will happen if they bring people in without following the proper process? It sounds like you need to apply the rules in your lease. Go online and print out a copy of the landlord tenant state and local laws and pop them into a binder you can quickly get to when needed. This has an affect on how your other tenants see you. So you need to act quickly, decisively and confidently. When other tenants see how you handle this they’ll be confident that you won’t let the place go to rack and ruin (and they’ll know you mean business).
Remember timid landlords raise skinny kids. Knowledge is power and lets you know exactly where you stand. It can save you a lot of stress, time and trouble even when if you encounter something for the first time. Hang in there and let us know what happens.

1 Like

In SC it doesn’t matter if it’s in the lease or not. You can evict for any reason as long as you send a certified letters stating the reason for eviction and giving them 30 days to correct the problem…

What do you guys do when they claim they are not sleeping there?

I wholeheartedly agree with all the previous posters responses here. After all, it is your responsibility to provide a safe-environment for your other good tenants. Heck, you may even be held negligent for not following due process if that person were to commit a crime against a person or property. Serve them with a certified letter with a written date to respond by. Document everything if it goes all the way to court to show you acted properly to protect everyone else’s interest and therefore did not act negligent.

If you do not you will lose complete control of your community and might as well let the tenants take over.