Park Model Homes

I have a few lots that are small and a typical MH wouldn’t fit. I am considering buying a couple of park models that would fit perfectly. 2 problems, 1. Cost of new park models are more expensive than the new Clayton True models I’ve been buying. 2. Park models are one bedrooms. Can I get monthly rents comparable to what I’m getting on my 2/2 Clayton rents? Thanks. Jim

Problem number three: Park models are classified as RVs and your zoning must permit this.

2 Likes

You have to know your market. I have a few lots that I had to put park models on… they are harder to rent or sell because most of my market is larger families.

Could a park model be used as the park office/sales center?

In most markets the rent for a 1 BR vs. a 2 BR is a pretty standard ratio. For instance a 2 BR apartment in Los Angeles rents for roughly 120% of a 1 BR; a pair of roommates in a 2 BR each pay roughly 60% of what they’d pay for a 1 BR. Check around for the ratio in your area.

TL;DR: No, I don’t believe you can charge as much for a 1 BR MH as a 2BR.

Flip the power and rent them as long term RV parking

I will probably only buy a new park model as a last resort. I will make every effort to make a traditional mh fit. Any additional lot expense
To accommodate a mh, will be more than made up with the higher rent received. Thanks for your advice as always!