Normal Percent Ranges for Common Expenses - Excel Spreadsheet Included

Hey everyone,

As I have begun to analyze MHP income statements / P&L’s, I have found it difficult to tell whether individual expense items are within normal ranges.

So for example, I may have a park with a high expense ratio (ie 48%), but I am having trouble figuring out which specific expense items are higher than would be expected/optimal. For example, insurance might make up 10% of this number (% of gross income), but I am unsure as to whether this is a red flag and way too high, or within normal limits. Because of this, knowing that normally insurance should be between 2-5% (or whatever it actually should be) of gross income would be very valuable for looking through P&L’s more efficiently.

Although I am sure with time and experience looking at many P&L’s I will naturally build a picture of what is normal and what might be a red flag to look out for, but I was wondering if any more seasoned investors would be willing to share common/reasonable ranges for some of these? Because these expense percentages are impacted by many variables perhaps percent ranges for primarily pad rental based parks on city water and sewer would be a good baseline. A few items I was interested in include -

Insurance (?% - ?%)
Repair and Maintenance (?% - ?%)
Management (?% - ?%)
Property Tax (?% - ?%)
Electricity (?% - ?%)
Heat (?% - ?%)
Water (?% - ?%)
Sewer (?% - ?%)
Garbage Removal (?% - ?%)

I am working on a spreadsheet (I am not allowed to post pictures yet) that I would be more than happy to share with anyone that might be interested once I have some of these ranges filled out!

Thanks everyone!

I would love to see this spreadsheet please

Hi JDE,

Would you send or post the spreadsheet?

Thanks, Jeanne

Thanks for the interest, I sent the sheet your way! Still working on one that allows you to fill in the blanks on your own park so you can compare expenses side by side

Please send me spreadsheet. Thanks

Here are some ROT expensesTypical Operating Expenses for a Mobile Home Park.pdf (12.8 KB)

2 Likes

Not sure what your accounting experience is but I was always under the belief that you could not depreciate land.

Thank You Very Much JDE!

@JDE I am in search of exactly what you were creating. did you ever put this together? would love it if you could post a link to this . It would be invaluable to me & probably others as well… TIA!

Hey JL,

I have attached a screenshot - it is very similar to the numbers that PG posted. I can’t upload the excel doc here but if anyone would like it just private message me your email and I can pass it on.

Thanks!

1 Like

I would really appreciate it if you could email the the SpreadSheet, JDE. While I’ve been a park owner for several years, until the Covid shut down, I really haven’t had the time to practice my Excel skills. Now is the perfect time if you are still willing please. The best email for me is: ParksPlus4@gmail.com.

Thank you for your kindness and generosity!

Hey Holly, I just sent the spreadsheet to your email. Cheers!

Thank you so much JDE! I hope I can one day return the favor.

JDE -
I’m new to the university. I would like to get a copy of your spreadsheet but don’t know how to PM you. Maybe you can PM me. Thanks.