Neighbor Claiming Alfalfa

Hello,

Hope all are fabulous!

I have a neighbor across from our newly purchased mobile home park indicating he had a verbal agreement with the prior owner for the alfalfa he planted on our land.

My partners on the ground, in a very small everyone knows everyone kind of town does not want to allow this person on the land. 1) this person who claims he wants the alfalfa is not the type of person they want to do business with 2) they are indicating he would have no care for our electric, sewer or any other pipes while running his trucks over the property. 3) He is the type of person who would claim injury once he got on our property.

It is not worth our time or energy based on what it would cost us to harvest the alfalfa that is in between more weeds, than alfalfa vs what we would make from the harvest.

I was going to send him a new owner letter explaining we are new owners, we have nothing indicating he has claim to the alfalfa and wishing him the best.

Any suggestions, other than what Im suggesting, on how to help this situation?

Thank you

Is any of your land under an ag exemption? If not then would find someone else to do business with via formal documented agreement, or donate it for a good cause every year, and figure out any tax incentives.

In almost all jurisdictions, agreements regarding real estate use must be in writing to be enforced. Unless he can claim he spent some money putting in the alfalfa and thus has some equitable case against you, I’d say you would be on legal sound footing to deny him access to your land. Also, a prior owner’s land use commitment would not become yours unless you had notice of it prior to the purchase and had agreed to accept that obligation.

1 Like

JHuston,

Thank you for responding. Love the idea of donating for a great cause.

Take care

Kurt,

Thank you for the reminder the land use committment wouldnt not be ours, unless we had notice. Which we did not.

The certified letter went out to him today expressing our apologies that the issue wasnt resolved prior to the sale and our decision to decline his removal of alfalfa from the land.

Thank you again for your help,

1 Like